Dining Out with a Wheelchair in Shinjuku Tokyo.

• Dining Out with a Wheelchair in Shinjuku Tokyo.

Posted by Nick on March 25, 2024 at 11:56 pm

We arrive in Tokyo the holiday weekend of 3rd May this year. I expect it to be very busy everywhere. As regards eating out. Does anyone have recommendations for accessible restaurants in Shinjuku with Accessible toilets ? I know places like department stores and railway stations will be fairly ok to use but I was just wondering if anyone has managed to find any hidden gems for people leith disabilities?.The last thing we want is to be looking endless all night for some place to eat whilst we are out and about. It does not really matter what type of food that is served as accessiblity is always the most important thing .Any Recommendations?

Josh Grisdale replied 3 weeks, 6 days ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

March 26, 2024 at 9:56 am

I can’t really suggest any particular place (though Kura Sushi, while a chain, is pretty fun and delicious), mostly it’s difficult to pick because EVERYTHING was good. I’d actually recommend searching by type of restaurant, and picking any shop that’s accessible nearby (Google streetview is great for this). As you said, newer Malls/Department stores great for a quick multi-option place to dine as well, though you may want to eat just before/after regular meal times to avoid the rush.

-Justin

• Nick

March 27, 2024 at 11:15 pm

Thanks for that Justin . Do they have toilet accessible?

• schroth-sensei

March 30, 2024 at 2:53 am

I haven’t checked any at Shinjuku specifically, but I have been in a Kura Sushi that did have an accessible universal toilet.
      Side note: The seating for dining is usually automated and you may get an not-accessible seat. However, you can talk to staff and they should get you an accessible option. They usually have a booth open on one side for a wheelchair, or a bar-style area you can park at with your caregiver to your side.

• Nick

March 30, 2024 at 7:47 pm

Thanks for the info Justin. Much appreciated.

• Josh Grisdale

March 26, 2024 at 10:42 am

A restaurant with an accessible toilet in it can be veeeeeeery rare.

Does it need to be Shinjuku? Do you have a bit of a budget for it?

• Nick

March 27, 2024 at 11:17 pm

Just thinking because we are staying in Shinjuku it would be easier to go close by to our hotel instead of the need to travel to far Budget is open The most important thing is access and atmosphere also

• Josh Grisdale

March 28, 2024 at 5:02 pm

The only one I could find that wasn’t in a hotel or department store (or a Chinese restaurant – since I’m assuming you want Japanese food) was Gyoen Roan (御苑 炉庵)

https://maps.app.goo.gl/A5rSMTWQnXrPckwP9

On one of the restaurant review sites there was a picture of the toilet, and they seem to have a very deliberate ramp, so I assume it is ok… but you might want to ask your hotel to call to confirm.

• Nick

March 28, 2024 at 5:22 pm

Thank You Josh, looks promising . The ramp is obvious which makes me think it will be ok .Great spot.

• Josh Grisdale

March 29, 2024 at 12:45 pm

Yes, a ramp like that looks very intentional in saying “we are accessible”. If you go, please let us know how it is!

• Josh Grisdale

March 30, 2024 at 6:17 pm

Update!

I was in Shinjuku today (actually still am!) and popped by the restaurant.

I was planning on eating there too but all the seats were reserved! So I suggest you reserve the seating in advance.

It looked really nice and the staff were very nice. They let me take some pictures.

• Nick

March 30, 2024 at 7:43 pm

Perfect Josh, Thanks for your help. If we get there I will post review. It’s great to find this and I’m sure it will also help others to feel at ease and enjoy a good meal without worrying about what are the basics for able body persons.

• Josh Grisdale

March 30, 2024 at 9:26 pm

It was good for me too – I thought no such place existed! So having you asked helped remind me things are getting better. And a place to try in the future!

Hope you can enjoy it.

Skip to content