Disability in temples and onsen

• Disability in temples and onsen

Posted by Brunosantin on January 22, 2023 at 9:20 pm

Hello everyone!I will be in Japan in March, I have an important question and perhaps you can help me, I have a physical disability, a 14 cm shortening of the tibia and fibula in my left leg and I use a lift to walk and I wonder if I can enter the temples with my lift, there is not a problem if I walk for a short time without it, but if I do it during a long visit, my hip hurts. My mother could knit me a kind of bootee to put on when I come in. I have the same doubt regarding the onsen.

I need to put the riser on as soon as I get out of bed

Brunosantin replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Joan Pahisa

January 22, 2023 at 11:48 pm

Hi Bruno,

When I was there in 2018, I remember entering temples using crutches. There were even some accessible temples that I could enter with my wheelchair. Before entering, they carefully wiped my wheels. I also saw some temples, that instead of removing your shoes, people put those plastic covers (like the ones used by doctors at hospitals) over the shoes, so I guess that if you can put any kind of cover, there shouldn’t be a problem to access temples. As for onsen, probably a plastic cover could do. Nevertheless, maybe someone with more experience can confirm this.

Have a great trip to Japan!

• Brunosantin

January 24, 2023 at 6:48 pm

Thank you Joan!

• Josh Grisdale

January 23, 2023 at 10:09 am

Hi,

There is an old conversation on the subject that should still be relevant I think. Check it out here:

https://www.tabifolk.com/groups/japan/forum/topic/artificial-leg-and-japanese-shoe-removal-custom/?no_frame=1

• Brunosantin

January 24, 2023 at 6:53 pm

Thank you Josh 👍

Skip to content