Disabled Driver License in Japan

  • Disabled Driver License in Japan

    Posted by kenigor on February 4, 2024 at 4:15 pm

    Hello everyone!
    Recently I came to consider transferring my driver’s license to Japan.
    In my home country, I have a license that allows me to drive a car using only my hands with an adapted car (a bar that connects to the pedals, allowing you to break and accelerate simultaneously).

    Do you know if that is allowed in Japan and can I transfer my driver’s license and be able to get my license?
    Share your thoughts.


    Josh Grisdale replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Josh Grisdale

    February 5, 2024 at 8:18 pm


    While I’m not sure about transfering a lisence, you can drive a car with just hand controls in Japan.

    I asked a friend who does, and they got their license from Azuma training school in Niiza, Saitama where they have a hand-controlled car you can take the test on. It was a long time ago, so there may be other places now.

    They suggest you call Azuma and first confirm there aren’t any places closer to you (again, since they got their license a long time ago, there may be new places now).


    If there aren’t new places, ask them to send you the brochures, requirements etc before you go to make sure everything is inline (you will need a Japanese disability certificate).

    After getting/transferring your license, there is apparently funding you can apply for to make the adaptations to a car.

    Hope this helps!

Log in to reply.

Skip to content