Eikando temples in Kyoto wheelchair accessible?

• Eikando temples in Kyoto wheelchair accessible?

Posted by klazina on October 26, 2018 at 10:18 pm

Hi!

Does anyone know if the Eikando temple in Kyoto is wheelchair accessible (manual wheelchair)? I have a hard time finding accessibility information on this temple on the internet.

Best regards,

Klazina (currently visiting Kyoto from the Netherlands)

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

October 26, 2018 at 11:36 pm

I think @kyotoursjapan went there recently and said it was great for accessibility

• kyotoursjapan

October 27, 2018 at 2:32 pm

Hi Klazina. I can confirm that Eikando is accessible for manual wheelchair users.

When you approach the temple, go left into the parking lot are before the stairs in front of the ticket gate. There is a path that leads you into the temple grounds. You’ll need to go in the back entrance, and a priest will most likely be on hand to help you  if you let them know at the ticket office first. Farther in, there’s an elevator and a wheelchair lift (make sure you lower the safety bar to get it working). Some interior building areas are off limits, but you can see pretty much everything from the doorways. It’s still worth visiting.

Be aware that if you plan on visiting soon, the autumn season there is extremely busy and there are long lines to get in. You may have a hard time in the maple tree garden area due to gravel.

You can see a blog I wrote recently about touring Kyoto in a wheelchair here. Please let me know if  have any more questions. Thanks!

• Accessible Japan

October 27, 2018 at 2:38 pm

Thanks @KyoToursJapan!

@Klazina, if you want a guide, KyoTours Japan is fantastic

• klazina

October 27, 2018 at 11:07 pm

Thank you both very much for your advise! This greatly helps.

I fully believe Kyoto Tours will be a fantastic guide. I already approached them a few weeks ago and they were fully booked for the days that I am in Kyoto. Good for them, unfortunate for me.

@Accesible Japan: your website it fantastic. Today I visited the Fushimi Inari Shrine with three colleagues. Your website gave a great impression of what we could expect there and guided us greatly via the alternative route. Thank you so much!!!!

If I can make a contribution to your website for a place that is not yet on there, please let me know. For example: the Higashi Hongan-ji temple was great. I also plan to visit the Kyoto botanical garden and will follow the miniature food workshop with tour.

Best regards,

Klazina.

• Accessible Japan

October 27, 2018 at 11:46 pm

Glad to be of help. Actually, it was thanks to @kyotoursjapan that I was able to get up the back steps.

I would love any help I can get!

Please post any pictures and comments you have in a new topic for each place!

Skip to content