Electric wheelchair battery charger does not work in japan ?

• Electric wheelchair battery charger does not work in japan ?

Posted by Stephane DEFREYNE on October 23, 2023 at 8:16 am

Hello everybody,

I’m in tokyo and I have a huge problem : the battery charger of my Electric wheelchair (permobil corpus m3) does not work. It has been plugged all night long and the battery indicator on the wheelchair has the same level than before charging. The battery charger uses 220v and i know in japan the Electric circuit is 110v.

I’m stuck at the hôtel and don’t know what to do. Can someone help me ?

I guess I need a japanese battery charger but where can I find this quickly ? We planned a lot of activities and for now I cannot move…

Josh Grisdale replied 9 months, 1 week ago 6 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Sarah

October 23, 2023 at 8:22 am

Oh no! I looked at the website of your chair. They have a supplier in Japan. Would you like me to call them for you? What country did you buy yours in?

• Stephane DEFREYNE

October 23, 2023 at 9:13 am

It is really kind thank you. I go to store right now and will ask you to call them if it does not work. OK ?

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      October 23, 2023 at 9:17 am

I think you should call first.

It is likely not a store, but an office. So, they may not have a charger there and you could waste your battery.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    October 23, 2023 at 8:35 am

Ahhh! Try looking at this: https://www.accessible-japan.com/voltage-japan-wheelchair-battery-chargers/ re voltage converters.

If you can get to a large electronics store, you can possibly buy a converter (not an adapter which just changes plug type!) to change voltage. You can show them this for reference: https://amzn.to/3tJ61J4. If you do find one, see if they will let you test it at the store before buying it. It will be cheaper than a new battery charger, but still not very cheap.

Getting in touch with Permobil via @sarahnishina or your hotel is likely the safest option (and they may be kind enough to lend it to you for your trip).

• Sarah

October 23, 2023 at 9:20 am

Which store are you going to? An electric store or the supplier? As @joshgrisdale said, it is advisable to ring beforehand.

• Stephane DEFREYNE

October 23, 2023 at 11:10 am

Hello Sarah is it possible for you to call permobil japan to try to get à japanese charger ? I’m in à réal hurry we booked something tonight and cannot cancel…

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      October 23, 2023 at 11:15 am

If Sarah is busy, you could also ask your hotel front desk to call them for you.

• Stephane DEFREYNE

October 23, 2023 at 11:16 am

I bought the chair in belgium

• Sarah

October 23, 2023 at 11:20 am

Calling now.

• schroth-sensei

October 23, 2023 at 10:23 am

You say the charger lit up. Is it a two-prong plug?

Also, I had a similar issue at home once, the wire from my chair to the charger was loose, but not the chair side, the side that goes into the charger itself. We just had to unplug and replug it. If yours is like that then Check that too if you haven’t.

• Stephane DEFREYNE

October 23, 2023 at 11:03 am

I want to the asakusa don quijote and bought à power converter. The charger Still blinks showing the battery is really low. I don’t know how to see if it works better with the power converter… I think it is better to get à japanese permobil charger.

• Deb

October 23, 2023 at 9:28 pm

We are in Yokohama and my sons got the same chair as you and with a basic universal converter that the hotel provided it seems to be charging .. x’d fingers I guess! I hope that things get sorted for you.

• AnhJon

October 23, 2023 at 11:10 pm

Have you tried the large electric store called Yodobashi Akiba in Akihabara?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/r6f5G8AuVL3VK6xz7

I was there tonight getting dinner on the 8th Floor and browsed the electric section on the lower floor; they seem to have an impressive selection of electronics stuff.

If you’re in Japan for awhile, perhaps order a charger from Amazon and ship it to the hotel?

I too am traveling in a Permobil M3, but I’m using an universal portable charger with me. I’ll attached a photo of it.

• Stephane DEFREYNE

October 24, 2023 at 7:27 am

Just a last update. Finally I got a japanese battery charger, thanks to Ohayo Travel and everyone who helped us yesterday, it was a tough day indeed. Spécial thanks to sarah for Phone support ! Full battery this morning !

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      October 24, 2023 at 11:09 am

Woohoo! So happy to see you fixed up and ready to enjoy the rest of your vacation!

What was the problem? Was your battery charger broken, or just because the voltage was wrong?

Skip to content