Entering Himeji-jo with a cane

• Entering Himeji-jo with a cane

Posted by Omismom on April 10, 2024 at 7:06 am

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to enter Himeji-jo with a cane? My partner would not be able to walk on the slippery floors in socks without his cane. He should be able to manage stairs as long as there are handrails (or he can use his cane). I checked the website and it says no strollers or wheelchairs.

AsiaMarketMakers replied 3 days, 7 hours ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Amy

April 10, 2024 at 10:33 am

I would think that they allow canes, if it makes it easier for your friend to walk. I’ve seen that the Japanese are very helpful on trains with disabled passengers. However, I can’t say for sure what the castle personnel would allow for travelers with mobile issues. Your best bet would be to call them directly, or send an email to them on their website asking if canes are allowed inside the castle. Also, they sell socks with rubber soles that can help your friend get a better grip on slippery floors. They have these in hospitals for patients there for surgeries and other procedures.

• Omismom

April 11, 2024 at 12:24 am

Thank you. I did not know about the grippy socks. They might help. I couldn’t find an email for the castle, but, might attempt a call (in English). 🙂

• grant

April 12, 2024 at 2:32 pm

My last visit to Himeji Castle was 2019 just before covid. I had no problems entering with my walking stick however, the staff did check the base to make sure it was okay and they gave it a wipe down with a cleanser to remove dust/dirt.

Whilst the access to the castle proper is rather gentle, inside the castle, there are a number of rather steep stairs (very traditional of course) which may be a barrier if you have impaired balance and in some spots, the ceilings are quite low.

YouTube has quite a few videos taken by people visiting the castle so it may be an idea to watch some of those first to get a better idea.

• Omismom

April 21, 2024 at 5:05 am

Thank you for your detailed reply. The information was extremely helpful!

• AsiaMarketMakers

April 26, 2024 at 11:02 pm

I visited Himeji Castle a few weeks ago. There’s no issue with using a cane. Japanese castles are notorious for being steep so nordic walking poles may really help. I bought some from the Mizuno Sports Store which really helped.

Skip to content