Finding specific supplies in Tokyo/Kyoto

• Finding specific supplies in Tokyo/Kyoto

Posted by Celeste on September 22, 2023 at 10:34 am

We’re in Tokyo (specifically near Shinagawa station) today and leaving for Kyoto tomorrow. My traveling companion would like to find a specific medication (BUP-4 LADY) and incontinence pads. The only pharmacy I’ve gone to so far didn’t have them, and I’d really prefer not to have to travel across the entire city searching when we could be doing, y’know, tourist stuff. Is there a reliable way to find that med or pads and maybe have them delivered to our hotel…?

Thank you!

alliejay replied 10 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    September 22, 2023 at 10:59 am

Hello,

The Japanese for BUP-4 Lady is バップフォーレディ. But from a quick look, they seem to only sell it at drug stores with a pharmacy attached (because they will explain usage etc). So, you might want to ask your hotel where the nearest one is.

Here is the (Japanese) link to the medication so you can show it to the hotel or drug store/pharmacy to cut down on trying to explain: https://www.taiho.co.jp/chc/product/bup4lady/bup4lady/

As for pads, any large drug store (Matsumoto Kiyoshi, Papas, Welcia etc) has a very large selection of pads and adult incontinence supplies, so it should be available.

Near Shinagawa station this drug store sell’s type 1, 2 and 3 over-the-counter medicine, so, it should have it (or at least point you in the right direction): https://maps.app.goo.gl/qCX9LfxrZGVtXTjy8

• Celeste

September 22, 2023 at 11:35 am

Thank you!! That really helps narrow it down. I’ll try that place next.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      September 22, 2023 at 11:52 am

I am FAR from an expert but it seems that over-the-counter (OTC) meds here come in three types depending on potential side-effects. Type 2-3 don’t need a pharmacist but are only sold at registered drug stores (so, smaller train station ones likely only have basics, and no OTC). Type 1 has the highest chance of side-effects (or more severe potential side-effects) and require an explanation by a pro when being purchased. So you might find some stores with no OTC, some with only types 2 and 3 (because they are registered but maybe no pharmacist), and others with types 1-3. It will be listed on the website if you are getting the hotel to help you.

There seems to be a category of medications needing guidance that require a pharmacist (above the OTC categories). BUP-4 Lady falls under this it seems, so you will need a store with a pharmacist.

• Vickster69

September 22, 2023 at 2:56 pm

We found a variety of pads at a local hospital

https://takanawa.jcho.go.jp We also had issues with medication and the hospital dispensed them , that was expensive.

• Celeste

September 22, 2023 at 7:03 pm

Thank you all again for the help! I had reached out to the Amex Platinum concierge line at the same time as I made this post, and they actually made some calls around to local pharmacies and were able to find a place that had the med in stock- Shibaura Pharmacy near Tamachi station. The people there were very kind, and while they didn’t speak English very well, and my Japanese is mediocre at best, we were able to work it out. Success! Thank you again! 🙂

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      September 22, 2023 at 9:21 pm

That makes me so happy! Thank you for letting us know 🙂

Please feel free to ask us anything else – we’re here to help! Also, please do share information you find on your travels as well!

• alliejay

September 22, 2023 at 11:14 pm

Very resourceful of you to ask the AMEX concierge for help! I am glad it worked out as many of us could find ourselves in a similar situation.

Skip to content