Fushimi Inari lift operation times

• Fushimi Inari lift operation times

Posted by Evalore1129 on August 2, 2023 at 8:58 pm

I’m planning a trip back to Japan in November this year and I’m wanting to give Kyoto another go after not having a great time there last year. Most of the issues were the crowds and the subway system. To get around the crowds though, I am looking at exploring some of the more popular places during the evening.

I’ve taken a look at Fushimi Inari and know it has a lift. I’ve also Googled to find out the opening hours and the results are a rather disappointing 9am-3pm. I was wondering if anyone has had first-hand experience with using the lift at this shrine and whether this time frame is accurate or not.

Last year when I visited I arrived a little after 9am, probably more like 10-10:30am and it was hideously crowded already. So if those lift times are accurate, I think it’ll be one I’ll strike from the list.

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 3, 2023 at 11:14 am

Hi

I have been twice, both pre- and post-elevator.

The elevator really does make it easy to get up to the gates. But, as you mentioned the timing is not really ideal. The elevator is near the office (if I recall correctly), and I would be VERY surprised if they didn’t follow the times listed…

There is an alternate route but it isn’t fully “accessible”. You need to go around the back through a residential area and there is a set of stairs heading to the torii gate area. While it is steps, they are fairly spaced out and are only about 3-5cm high, so, depending on your mobility requirements, you may be able to “bump up/down” the steps. I did it in my power wheelchair.

It is around this area:

https://goo.gl/maps/aKWcRVjpWLasic3LA

You can see it in Street View here:

https://goo.gl/maps/uXVtrwSsMrq8czx57

(Note that from the Street View images from 2012 that it was paved into a ramp but, I can confirm that when I went it had been reconverted into shallow steps.)

• Evalore1129

August 3, 2023 at 12:51 pm

Thanks for the information on the secondary entrance, Joshua. I didn’t notice that last time I was there.

I saw the elevator but like I said, it was far too busy for me to be bothered taking a look. I found Kyoto to be the only disappointment I had in terms of accessibility when I was there last year. Other tourists seemed to also just push right through me.

I might give Fushimi Inari a go via that secondary entrance so long as there aren’t too many people, though that’s doubtful. If not though, I’ll head to Uji instead.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 4, 2023 at 10:25 am

Yes, Kyoto can be awful. Especially the buses.

Well, let us know how it goes with an update!

Skip to content