Getting to Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi from Gotemba

• Getting to Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi from Gotemba

Posted by Nicola on January 26, 2024 at 4:28 am

I was wondering if anyone can tell me much about the accessibility of public transport around Fuji. I’m a full time Wheelchair user and we’re staying in Gotemba but would like to go to Lake Kawaguchi and obviously as far up Fuji is feasible.

I can find info about buses but not much about the accessibility?!

Thanks!

Wanping Aw replied 3 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

January 26, 2024 at 10:39 am

Hello Nicola,

I have some information that may be useful to you for exploring around Lake Kawaguchi area as well as Lake Saiko. I was in the area myself a few months ago and specifically went to go see Saiko Iyashi-no-Sato Nenba (I highly recommend it, very accessible and beautiful view of Fuji-san on a clear day, see attached picture), I had to take a bus from Kawaguchiko Station that eventually stopped at the village.

There are at least three accessible buses in this area that are sightseeing buses ran by Fuji-Q, are the Red-Line, Green-Line, and Blue-Line stopping at many locations around a combined four Lakes: Kawaguchi, Saiko, Shojiko, and Motosuko. These buses are just like regular accessible city buses, lower to the ground with a small slope to access (picture of Green-Line bus attached). Also, here is a Sightseeing Bus Map with the bus stop numbers and what can be found there in English. The locations themselves may not be accessible, but these buses can get you to them.

I believe accessible buses also run between Gotemba and Kawaguchiko, so that shouldn’t be much of an issue. As for getting up close to Fuji-san, I’m not sure, many regular sightseeing buses are not accessible and I couldn’t find particular information on what buses go to Subaru Line 5th Station (which does have accessible parking, but itself is only partly accessible).

I hope to come back to this area again eventually and explore more, but that won’t be for some time, so if you find any accessible locations, please share them on tabifolk.

I hope that helps,

-Justin

• Nicola

January 28, 2024 at 12:46 am

Thanks so much Justin, that’s all really useful information. We are travelling in April so I’ll post about anything particular that I found good or bad accessibility wise!

• schroth-sensei

January 28, 2024 at 2:24 am

Spring and Fuji-san, that could be a beautiful time to go! I’m looking forward to hearing about it.

-Justin

• Wanping Aw

January 29, 2024 at 8:12 am

I also second Iyashi no Sato, the straw tatched houses are really a rare sight in the Kanto region! When travelling in April, Mt Fuji has the shiba-zakura festival which is really beautiful. https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6919.html

Skip to content