Going to Japan and have some questions

• Going to Japan and have some questions

Posted by zombieraptor on May 18, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Hi guys!

I’m Lauren, and I’ll be traveling to Japan with my mom in two months. She is disabled and relies on a cane to get around. Both of us suffer from IBS, and take anti depressants.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience taking Sertraline (Zoloft) and Escitalopram (Cipralex) into Japan? I was also wondering if anyone has experience with having IBS issues in Japan. We will be visiting a Pharmacy to pick up some buscopan while we are there, and maybe something like Immodium if that can’t be brought in. I also have hypothyroidism, and will need to bring my Synthroid along.

We will be staying for 10 days so it will only be enough for that period of time. I plan on getting doctors notes with my prescription just incase i need it.

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 10 months ago 6 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

May 18, 2018 at 7:38 pm

Hi @ZombieRaptor, thanks for joining the forum!

I’ll look into the best options for Immodium, but in the meantime I wanted to comment on your other meds.  I cannot stress enough that you read this page on our website:
    https://www.accessible-japan.com/bringing-medicine-to-japan/

What is legal in other regions is not always legal in Japan!  I strongly suggest you follow the procedures (contacting the authorities etc) correctly so you don’t have any devastating surprises.  In all likelihood you will be told your meds are fine, but you really should check first.

There was another thread on this, so you may want to contact the person who started it if you have any questions about how to do it.
    https://www.tabifolk.com/forums/topic/bringing-medication-to-japan/

Once you get your OK for the meds you can focus on getting ready for your trip – I hope it will be an amazing experience for you!

• zombieraptor

May 18, 2018 at 8:06 pm

Hi @AccessibleJapan ! Thank you for the warm welcome 🙂

I had actually read that page prior to joining! That’s what prompted me to join the forum actually. That and the accessable toilets page. Both were very informative! The medicine page was a little unclear with regards to anti depressants, though it’s good to hear that Gabapentin is allowed! I didn’t list it in my post, but I saw it in the thread you linked. (My mom is prescribed that for neuropathy.) I’ll be sure to link that thread to her too 😀

I will definitely take your advice about contacting the proper authorities to make sure.

I do appreciate you looking into the best options for Immodium btw! Having it or an alternative will be a lifesaver 🙂

• Accessible Japan

May 18, 2018 at 8:26 pm

Glad they were helpful!  Yes, Japanese toilets are the best thing in the world and the number of them is simply amazing.

Unfortunately all the info on the web re: meds was a bit elusive when it came to giving lists.  I assume that that has to do with the fact that no one wants to be legally responsible.  It is the Japanese government that makes the list and changes it, so I think everyone (myself included!) is cautious of sharing a list in case things change and then someone who trusted the list gets in trouble at customs.  So, in this case going to the source really is the safest bet.

• Accessible Japan

May 18, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Maybe @ali_muskett has a good list of Immodium alternatives in Japan?  She works for Inside Japan Tours doing accessible tours, so they might have resources for their clients.

• Ali

May 18, 2018 at 8:35 pm

Hi @zombieraptor,

Fantastic to hear you’re planning a trip to Japan! I’m afraid we can’t give any medical advice at all, and I don’t have any lists of Immodium alternatives that I can provide. However, if you were travelling with us and had a day with one of our guides or Tour Leaders they would be very happy to help you purchase anything you needed from the pharmacy.

Do get in touch if I can help at all!

All the best

Ali

• azaleeboy

May 18, 2018 at 9:12 pm

I’ve taken Immodium a number of times to Japan, but now that I saw the info on contacting the authorities I think I’ll do that first next time!

Here is a popular brand of anti-diarrhea medicine sold in Japan: http://www.lion.co.jp/en/products/category/medical/26

There are others, so if you find that one, just look around it.  I think there are ones that are like tape that dissolve on your tongue without water as well.

• Totino

May 20, 2018 at 10:25 am

Hello. My name is Hazuki. I’m very interested in your organization, which I have been dreaming to have like the company. I was wondering if you could tell me what you were doing detail. Additionally, I would love to help your company.

I wanted to help travelers who have some difficulties to access some areas in Japan. Thus, I went to Canada to learn English, and did internship in the hospital. I also worked as nurse in Japan for over 4 years. I also have a certification of public health nurse. I’m looking for hearing from you. Thank you.

• Hazuki Tochino
    • Accessible Japan

May 20, 2018 at 12:55 pm

Hi @TotinoHazuki!  Welcome!  Sure, if you add us as a friend we can send messages.

Since you are a nurse, can you tell @ZombieRaptor some good 下痢止め she can buy in a Japanese drug store?  Thanks!

• iliketurtles

July 6, 2018 at 1:14 am

Hello! i came here also to look up about IBS. I have it and its pretty bad. If get stuck in a long line, i get the need to go. while sometimes im good and dont need to go for an hour or more. its the feeling of being stuck and not making it to a toilet that gets me sometimes.

Now because ive dont it doesnt mean its right… i did it at my own risk. I have taken Imodium on about 4 of my past trips. I pack a box of it which is about 40 pills. i think if its more than a package you will run into trouble if they search you. Im sure this stuff is on the no no list of things to bring into japan but i need it. I was told japanese stuff isnt as strong but i have yet to test it. I really only use this stuff when i travel.

The last time i went to tokyo japan was in April. Again i did this at my own risk. I have been searched before and they did see it. But im sure they security person didnt know what the stuff was. maybe hes mostly looking for other types of drugs or weapons. I did leave it in its box sealed.

• Accessible Japan

July 6, 2018 at 12:58 pm

Good to hear things went alright.  If you get a chance to test Japanese medicine, please share if it works – or not!

Skip to content