Guide Dog / assistance Dog

• Guide Dog / assistance Dog

Posted by Anaïs K on August 23, 2023 at 4:59 pm

Firstly thank you for all the information found on the forum and on the site “accessible japan”

To make sure I understood everything.

For non-Japanese people accompanied by a guide/assistance dog to be allowed to enter public places, public transport, hotels, restaurants, a temporary certificate is required.

To obtain this status, the request must be made by the federation/ official body of the country where the dog has been trained

https://www.moudouken.net/ as soon as possible.

I will also contact them to know the maximum duration:)

And of course without forgetting all the health protocol before the trip.

For people with a guide dog in Japan; do you have good access to all transport? Metro? Train? Bus?

Is there an additional reservation to make? Should we report beforehand?

I thought I saw that in restaurants it was more complicated; is there a list for big cities?

For temples and shrines, do you know if some refuse access?

Finally you will have understood if you have information I am a taker!

Thanks again!

Anaïs K replied 11 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 26, 2023 at 8:48 am

Hello. Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, getting in touch with the Moudouken website staff early is very important as there are many forms and regulations that must be taken care of.

Once the dog has its registration, it will be able to have have the same rights as dogs trained in Japan. So, taking the dog on public transportation and in public buildings will be allowed.

In theory, private establishments (tourist attractions, restaurants etc) should not discriminate against the user. However, there is not enough awareness of these rights and many restaurants may say no for “hygienic” reasons.

Recently there was a blog about a visitor who came with her assistance dog. In it there are a number of very useful links from a professional traveler. I highly recommend reading it and maybe getting in touch with her.

Here is the link:
    https://www.accessible-japan.com/a-visit-to-japan-with-my-assistance-dog-nixon/

• Anaïs K

August 29, 2023 at 5:24 pm

Helloe 🙂Thank you very much for your response 🙂

I had looked at his site but not good enough, there is a lot of information!

And she also has an active facebook group: I will certainly contact her.

Thanks again !

Have a good day 🙂

Anaïs

Skip to content