Hakodate Public Transportation

• Hakodate Public Transportation

Posted by Kathie on February 12, 2024 at 1:12 am

We are going to be in Hakodate in May 2024. My husband is a full time wheelchair user – he is unable to stand or walk at all, no steps. Does anyone know if the public transportation system in Hakodate has wheelchair accessible buses or trams with lifts? Thank you.

Kathie replied 2 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Amy

February 12, 2024 at 2:02 am

That area, Hakodate, is up north, isn’t it? I can ask about this to my sensei, who is from Hokkaido. Perhaps he knows.

• Kathie

February 12, 2024 at 6:24 am

Thank you! That would be most appreciated.

• Don

February 12, 2024 at 2:12 am

I never tried to use buses or trams in Hakodate when we visited last year but I don’t think they are wheelchair accessible. At least the city is flat (aside from the famous mountain) and there is quite a bit to see in the central area. It does help if you like sushi and sashimi though!

• Josh Grisdale

February 12, 2024 at 10:52 am

I visited a few years ago and took the tram once. The newer 8101-model trams have a lowered floor and ramp, but not every tram stop is accessible since the platform is very narrow and there isn’t room to lower the ramp etc.

The city website says the following stops are accessible:

• Yunokawa
    • Keibajo-Mae
    • Goryokaku-Koen-Mae
    • Chuobyoin-Mae
    • Chiyogadai
    • Showabashi
    • Matsukazecho
    • Hakodateeki-Mae
    • Shiyakusho-Mae
    • Uoichibadori
    • Jujigai
    • Houraicho
    • Yachigashira

Which is actually most of the stops. (Though, remember that even if the stop is accessible, only 8101-model trams are accessible, so you might need to wait for an accessible tram.)

The only thing I could find about buses was a public report from the city from about 9 years ago that said about about 50-60% of the buses were accessible and they are aiming for 70% in the next 4 years (so, 5 years ago)…

• Kathie

February 12, 2024 at 10:55 pm

Thank you so much!! That is extremely helpful!

Skip to content