Hiroshima Trains/trams wheelchair access.

• Hiroshima Trains/trams wheelchair access.

Posted by gareth on August 29, 2018 at 4:44 am

Hi does anyone know what the travel access is like for Wheelchairs in Hiroshima. We will arrive in Hiroshima main Station and first off want to go to the Atomic Dome, then we are visiting the Peace Memorial area and then a bit of a local area explore before going to the castle. So really its just the Hiroshima station to Atomic Dome and eventually back that i need to know.

CHEEEEERSSS

Joan Pahisa replied 5 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Joan Pahisa

August 29, 2018 at 7:56 am

From Hiroshima’s Main Station you can take a tramway that will take you to the Dome (the stop is Genbaku Dome-mae of the red or yellow lines from Hiroshimaeki stop at the train station). Not all trains are accessible, but at the tram station the screens with the schedule tell you if the trains that are coming are accessible or not. While in Hiroshima I didn’t take the bus, so I can’t tell whether it’s accessible or not. Most probably it is, but maybe someone can confirm it.

As for the places that you plan to visit, they are wheelchair accessible except for the castle. I went there and there’s a flight of stairs to access its entrance, as well as stairs inside. By wheelchair you can only enjoy the surrounding park, but cannot enter the building. Just a heads up. If you have seen other castles, in my opinion it’s not worth the hassle.

On the other hand, if you have the time, I’d definitely recommend to go to Miyajima Island to see the Ikutsushima Shrine and its sunken torii. It’s a one hour trip, first by train (from Hiroshima’s Main Station to Miyajimaguchi) and then by ferry to the island. Both the train and the ferry are wheelchair accessible.

Enjoy your visit!

• gareth

August 29, 2018 at 4:55 pm

@JoanP thank you for the info. Still not sure about the castle as we are seeing two more in various in other areas. Unfortunately we are on a day excursion from Osaka so i don’t think we will have time to visit Miyajima Island. I have heard of it and it was on our radar, but some plans changed so its just a day trip now. One for the next trip i think!! I think exploring the south will be most of the next trips plan!

• Joan Pahisa

August 29, 2018 at 7:34 pm

It’d be pretty tight for a one day trip depending on the Shinkansen tickets. Anyway, if you have the chance to go to the south again, you should give it a try.

I hope that you enjoy Hiroshima. By the way, if you have any questions on Osaka, I might be of help too.

• Accessible Japan

August 29, 2018 at 10:01 pm

Thank you so much for covering an area we have yet to get to, @JoanP!

• gareth

August 30, 2018 at 5:15 am

@JoanP cheers for the info on Hiroshima. I know it will be tight but i really wanted to go pay my respects at the atomic dome and peace memorial. Have you ever been to Okonomimura in Hiroshima at all? heard the food is awesome so wanted to check it out if its accessible?
    In Osaka apart from a morning visit to the Aquarium we have a free day. Any suggestions on what to see or do? We will have already been to the castle, science museum, dotonbori area and also explored around the Umeda station area.
    any help or suggestions much appreciated.

• Joan Pahisa

August 31, 2018 at 2:32 am

Hi Gareth,

I also went to Hiroshima to pay my respects at the peace memorial. As for Okonomimura, I’m sorry, I’ve never been there, but according to the floor map on their website there’s an elevator: http://www.okonomimura.jp/floor/index.html Hopefully, the access in the ground floor is accessible. From Google Maps, it looks that there’s a huge staircase going up, but it also seems that you can enter the building at the ground floor and the elevator should be somewhere inside. I’ve found the confirmation on this website (though my Japanese is a bit sketchy): http://asami.webcrow.jp/usagi/Michelin/page02_03.html Apparently, there’s even an accessible toilet on the third floor.

As for Osaka, I would suggest going to Shinsekai to stroll a bit and have lunch or dinner (preferably dinner as the tower and the surrounding streets are all lit up). I like its atmosphere. The area around it isn’t really nice, though. You can get to it by subway (red line, Dobutsuen-mae station). Once you get off, go to Tsutenkaku Tower (using Google Maps) at the heart of Shinsekai and stroll around.

Another option would be to go to Tennoji and go up the Abeno Harukas building. The view from the top is quite amazing. Both places are just one subway stop away from each other (red line, Tennoji).

Finally, if you haven’t done so, for a late lunch I would go to a Kaiten Sushi restaurant. I would suggest Kura Sushi (くら寿司) near Daikokucho station (subway, red line). https://goo.gl/maps/vHuimkxpurG2 The pads to order can be set to English, the food is good and the price is amazing. There’s usually a huge queue that’s why I was suggesting a late lunch (it doesn’t close in the afternoon). When you get off the elevator, that’s located at the parking, you need to get a ticket from a machine. There are two buttons, first it’s the right one (to ask for the counter table,  which will be more comfortable with the wheelchair than the booths), then you choose the number of people and then you need to confirm (lower right button I think). A good idea would be to ask for help and ask for the counter (“KAUNTAA” pronounced in Japanese). That way they’ll know that you don’t speak Japanese and might tell you when is your turn (as they call the numbers in Japanese).

Anyway, I hope that you have fun in Osaka!

Skip to content