How to find power wheelchair accessible apartments in Japan?

• How to find power wheelchair accessible apartments in Japan?

Posted by Iman W on June 7, 2022 at 5:58 pm

Hi!

I am planning to move to Japan winter of next year and I’m wondering how I can find an wheelchair accessible apartments in Japan? I’m in a power wheelchair and I want to make sure the apartment is accessible with an elevator and no genkan. If it’s possible, I’d like to know how to have my bathroom with enough space and grab bars on the side too. How does Japan make it accessible? If someone can answer that’ll be great!

Kind regards,

Iman

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year, 10 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

June 8, 2022 at 9:37 am

Hello,

Great to hear you are thinking of moving to Japan. I think that it would be great to get @zeng in on this as well since she literally just moved here!

Do you have an employer, or are you attending school?

Actually, my friend just moved and will be living here:

https://nobishiro-house-kameino.azurefd.net/

They have 4 accessible rooms and a Dr on site.

• Iman W

June 9, 2022 at 9:58 am

Hi Josh!

I checked out the link you sent and looks great! I am moving for work so I’m excited and have to be prepared for this big move. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Iman

• Nomad Traveler

June 8, 2022 at 7:47 pm

Hi Iman,

Machiya Hotel Yanagi is a traditional Japanese house that’s been turned into a modern Kyoto guesthouse.This Kyoto townhouse is a wheelchair accessible and pet-friendly holiday rental.There’s no shortage of machiya to visit and stay in, but not all of them are fully equipped to welcome all guests. That’s where the accessible, pet-friendly Machiya Hotel Yanagi comes in. Located in a quaint neighbourhood of Kyoto, this 100-year-old machiya looks like a typical traditional townhouse with kawara tile roofing and wooden sliding doors. But the interior has been completely transformed into a stylish, modern Japanese house.

The floors are entirely flat, with access ramps and an extra large bathroom, so guests in wheelchairs can enjoy the space easily. You can also request a helper if you need any assistance.The two-storey house can fit up to seven people. There’s one bedroom on the first floor with two beds, while the second floor has another bedroom with three beds and a traditional tatami room with two futons. Plus, there’s a fully equipped kitchen and a private outdoor terrace designed to look like a Zen rock garden.

Machiya Hotel Yanagi is only a short bus ride away from many city attractions like the famous Kinkakuji Temple, Arashiyama Bamboo Forest and Nijo Castle. A night here starts from ¥7,000 per person, and you can book through the official website.

Hope this helps.

• Jiahui

June 14, 2022 at 11:44 am

Thank you for inviting me!

I am living in the university dormitory, so at present, I don’t have so much experience in renting an apartment. But my friend told me that she brought a slope by herself from China.

Skip to content