How to power up a SMARTDRIVE unit in Japan?

• How to power up a SMARTDRIVE unit in Japan?

Posted by Spider Hart on February 26, 2024 at 5:55 pm

Hey Everyone,

Does any one know how to power-up a SMARTDRIVE manual wheelchair power assist unit, with the electric 3-pin power cord in JAPAN?

Is the Japanese Type ‘B’ elect power outlet common? in hotels & cruise boats? Or is it mainly the 2-PIN type (Á’).

Rdgs -Spider Hart

Western Aust

26FEB24

Spider Hart replied 1 month, 4 weeks ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 26, 2024 at 6:18 pm

Hi, be sure to read this about plugs and voltages, especially coming from Australia:

https://www.accessible-japan.com/voltage-japan-wheelchair-battery-chargers/

i think @joanp brought a similar device.

• Joan Pahisa

February 26, 2024 at 7:28 pm

It’s been many years since I was in Japan, so I don’t remember much about sockets. I charged my SmartDrive using my European power cord with a socket adapter from EU to Japan type A (the 2-pin one). The 2-pin one works both for type A and type B sockets, which is why I can’t remember if most sockets were 2 or 3 pinned.

As for the voltage and so on, with the SmartDrive original charger you won’t have a problem as it accepts voltages ranging from 100V to 240V.

• HImom

February 27, 2024 at 3:49 am

We brought a converter, that way we didn’t run into any problems if the sockets accepted the 3 prong or the 2 prong.

• TabiFolk

Organizer
    February 27, 2024 at 9:49 am

Can you take a picture of the battery charger where it shows voltage input etc?

• Spider Hart

March 1, 2024 at 9:15 pm

Hey Everyone,

thanks for your responses, sorry taken me a couple days to get back to you all, had a health issue, you know what its like!

Yes, the SMARTDRIVE unit has an input ppower rating of between 100volts up to 240V, here in AUSTRALIA. So Japan being a 100 volt level, SD unit should power-up okay, even if a little slower, with the smaller voltage.

Since my orig post, I have purchased a UNIVERSAL TRAVEL POWER ADAPTER ($36AUD). That adapter converts my Aust 3-pin plug side too the 2-pin JAPAN side.

Appreciate the Advice

Spider

West Aust.

• gbgb

March 2, 2024 at 5:07 am

I haven’t seen a drive like that before. It looks really good.

Yes, you should be all fixed up with your adaptor. It is a good thing that most new power supplies are multi voltage. You can go almost anywhere in the world with just adaptors.

An alternative, if you are just going to be in a few countries, is to buy the appropriate line cord and just plug it into the power supply.

In Japan most domestic sockets are the two pin type. You will see the three pin type in hotels and in commercial places but they are, of course, compatible with the two prong plug.

• Spider Hart

March 2, 2024 at 12:44 pm

Thanks, gbgb

Yes l thought about buying the appropriate elect line cord’ (Japanese 2pin) for the smart drive, but would have to wait to be in Japan to do it. More relaxed as a ‘happy traveller’when its all in place before l leave home, hey.

Am l right in thinking that the SD-unit will just charge slower as the voltage is just 100V in Japan, compared to here in AUST where it is 240V ? & that will be the only electrical operational difference?

Rdgs Spider Hart

West Aus

• gbgb

March 3, 2024 at 12:15 am

You are probably right. Though it is possible it will be roughly the same.

Modern power supplies don’t use transformers,. Instead they chop the input power up into pieces (this is not a technical explanation!!!!) and re assemble it at the voltage and current they need.

It may be slower because of the 50 Hz rather than 60 Hz more than because of the voltage difference. But it really depends on the design of the power supply.

• Spider Hart

March 5, 2024 at 4:32 pm

Thanks gbgb

I now feel l will have no problems with charging the SMARTDRIVE unit in Japan in my trip.

Rdgs Spider H

West Australia

Skip to content