Is it acceptable to use folding stool in japan

• Is it acceptable to use folding stool in japan

Posted by Rednaxela on May 7, 2023 at 8:40 am

I am travelling to Japan soon and I have FM and cannot stand still for long periods of time so I am nervous about queues and having to stand and eat. Is it acceptable or rude in Japan to use a folding stool when having to wait in queues, or if I get tired and there is nowhere to sit?

alliejay replied 10 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

May 7, 2023 at 9:46 am

Hello Rednaxela,

Depending on what you want to do, queues could be an issue. However, if you steer clear of peak/rush hours you may not have many lines at all to deal with. I avoided these times myself and I didn’t have to wait long in any place I visited in Tokyo, Kyoto, Kobe, and a few other cities.

As for using a folding chair in long lines, you may get some looks but I don’t think it will be rude unless you block foot traffic for others trying to go around or something (if you’re using a walker with a seat, then you probably wouldn’t get a second look beyond curious onlookers). Finding a place to rest will also depend on the individual location, but because of Japan’s aging population it becoming more popular to have resting area throughout many places. Also, on https://www.accessible-japan.com/ (check it out if you haven’t already), the Accessibility section of many of the attractions reviewed often note if there are resting areas available, great for some pre-planning! Generally speaking, I think you’ll find a seat when you need one. 🙂

If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask and we’ll try to get you an answer!

Hope that helps,

-Justin

• Rednaxela

May 7, 2023 at 10:45 am

Thank you

• Josh Grisdale

May 7, 2023 at 12:50 pm

As Justin mentioned, Japan is aging rapidly and you will often see seniors sitting on their walkers.

If it is a small stool it should be no issue, but a camping chair with a drink holder might be too much 😜

Two things you might want to consider:

Getting a “help mark” which is a little red lanyard with a heart and a cross on it that indicates you have an invisible disability. You can get them at subway stations I believe.

You could also rent a wheelchair. Or borrow one at the place you are visiting as most tourist destinations have wheelchairs available these days and you could likely ask to use it while waiting.

• alliejay

May 16, 2023 at 2:57 am

Just adding another reply here… I use a manual wheelchair so it was pretty obvious I could not stand for long. That said, I did see a few people (usually elderly) now and again, with those canes that turn into a little sitting stool. For restaurant queues (at food halls or shopping centers) some have chairs lines outside for people to wait for a table, so sitting while waiting is not an unusual thing.

Skip to content