Jobs In Japan 101

• Jobs In Japan 101

Posted by Joshua on February 5, 2019 at 10:52 am

im curious as to how your experience was when you applied for a job in japan

This topic is for similar posts

Josh Grisdale replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 5, 2019 at 4:26 pm

I applied for jobs and did a number of interviews (that didn’t reach end in a job) .

I ended up getting a job from a friend of a friend, which is quite common here.  I think therefore that the best way to get a job here is to build a network of friends and meet new people – being known is often the most important thing here.

• ryuk52109

February 27, 2019 at 5:54 pm

how hard was it to get a job in Japan?  I have heard that unless you have a Bachelor’s degree it is almost impossible, the closest thing I have is a diploma in IT from TAFE (really hard to find an IT job in my area, especially if you can’t drive).  Ever since I started breaking down the barriers of what I thought was possible (being told that you’ll “never be able to do X or Y” kinda held me back in that regard) I have wanted to live overseas and set my sights on Japan.

• Josh Grisdale

February 28, 2019 at 1:17 pm

Previously, you needed a bachelors degree to get a working visa, but I’m not sure it is the case these days…

The hardest part is getting your foot in the door.  Once you get here, it is easy enough to stay (as long as you are employed).

The best thing to do is to make friends and contacts.  Many jobs here are from someone you know.  So, you should try to visit and make friends.  Getting a job in your home country that is related to Japan helps too.

• ryuk52109

February 28, 2019 at 1:36 pm

Thanks, tbh the only reason I have not been to Japan yet is because I was led to believe by my High School Japanese teacher that I would not be able to handle it at all because of my disabilities (basically making excuses to keep me from continuing the course past year 9 so I would not go on the trip, just like my careers adviser making excuses so I would not go to uni and rather to TAFE).

• Josh Grisdale

February 28, 2019 at 2:36 pm

That is horrible of them (or at least sadly uninformed).

I too was advised against coming – mostly by people who were able bodied and were unaware of accessiblity.  “I haven’t seen it, so it must be impossible” thinking.

Let’s help you get here!  At least for a vacation, and then maybe longer 🙂

Skip to content