Kamikochi / Tateyama in wheelchair

• Kamikochi / Tateyama in wheelchair

Posted by Yess on February 13, 2024 at 3:49 pm

Hi!
    I am a wheelchair user, but can take few mini steps.
    Keen to sight see Kamikochi / Tateyama Alpine route.
    Based on japan-accessible.com, Kamikochi seems a bit more doable. Wondering if anyone been here & if it’s worth the journey?
    As for Tateyama, is there any access at all if I only want to take the cable car?

Thank you!
    Yess

Joan Pahisa replied 2 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

February 13, 2024 at 4:38 pm

Hi!

Can you send the links from japan-accessible.com to the places you are referring to? (Right now it just goes to the main site.)

Thanks!

• Josh Grisdale

February 15, 2024 at 4:37 pm

I have not been but maybe @joanp went?

The biggest challenge I think would be using the buses since I believe you would need to use highway/coach buses that have steps to get up into the seating area and would require you to put your wheelchair (folded) with the luggage.

As for the cable car, it appears to only be steps and quite steep (from this Wikipedia photo). If you got on at the bottom (to limit the number of steps) you’d have to walk all the way to the top once you arrive at the top…

If a tour involving a taxi/guide might work, I’d consider talking with @ohayotravel

• Joan Pahisa

February 15, 2024 at 6:21 pm

Unfortunately, I did not. Aside from Takayama and Shirakawago, I did part of the post towns of the Nakasendo road (Magome, Tsumago and Narai). If you finally go, I would love to hear about the accessibility of Tateyama and Kamikochi. The alpine road from a few pictures that I’ve seen on Google Street View looks a bit complicated with cobblestone-like pavement.

• Yess

February 16, 2024 at 9:58 am

I’ve seen your post towns from insta. Lovely! I may consider this instead. Thanks a lot.

• Joan Pahisa

February 19, 2024 at 9:35 pm

Regarding the post towns, I went from Nakatsugawa to Magome by bus (it was wheelchair accessible). Magome is all uphill, but if you’ve got power assist or someone pushing, it’s doable and a very pleasant place.

Then from Magome to Tsumago, the bus was not wheelchair accessible. It was a smaller bus, but the driver helped me get the wheelchair on board and I sat on a regular seat holding the wheelchair (it’s a winding road). Once in Tsumago, most of the streets are ok and the stroll is great. If you wander around and get near the river, it is lovely : )

Finally, the Narai JR station is not wheelchair accessible. There are about 25 to 40 stairs up and down to cross the railroad. On the other hand, the streets of the city are good to go and the stroll around is also fantastic.

• Yess

February 16, 2024 at 9:55 am

Thank you! You are right, the cable car steps looks pretty steep! It’ll be a challenge to carry the wheelchair up/ down. I think I will forgo this plan..

Skip to content