Kyoto – accessible tour and geiko experience

• Kyoto – accessible tour and geiko experience

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Hi @accessiblejapan, it’s me again. Planning for 3 days Kyoto as part of our Japan trip in May. My friend is going a month earlier and told me about booking a “geiko experience”, which includes full geiko makeup, being dressed in a kimono and then have a mini photoshoot. Do you know of such a place that would be accessible and where people would be happy to help with such experience as far as possible? I am using an electric wheelchair but will bring my portable ramps along to manage single steps. Not able to stand, so not expecting to be able to fully dress in a kimono, but maybe just the top part for a nice photo 🙂

Also, I have booked the wheelchair accessible tour for Tokyo with Viator. Is there a similar tour for Kyoto?

Thanks, Maike

• Accessible Japan

February 17, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Hello,

If you tell me the place your friend is going I can try to contact them.  Alternatively, I know a place that rents accessible kimonos for wheelchair users.  No makeup, but a kimono you can wear delivered to your hotel.

I knew a guy in Kyoto giving tours, but he changed jobs.  But @Takeshi may be able to help.

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Thanks @accessiblejapan, I will check with my friend and let you know.

For the accessible kimonos, do you rent them for a day or how does it work? Will they help you to get into it or easy to do yourself?

I will try to get in touch with @takeshi as well.

• Accessible Japan

February 17, 2019 at 9:05 pm

The kimonos are done by a lady I know. She sends it to your hotel by courier and you send it back when done. I think it is a few days. Should I contact her to ask?

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 9:07 pm

That would be great, thanks.

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 10:39 pm

@accessiblejapan, I somehow cannot reply to your direct message, but yes I am in Singapore. I have been for 9 yrs and before that 4 yrs in Hong Kong. You can drop me an email at [email protected]

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 11:58 pm

The contact for the geiko experience is this company: http://kyoto-maiko.com/english

• Accessible Japan

February 18, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Hi again,

Sorry, called the maiko place but they had already closed.  Will try again in the morning.

Here is the link for the accessible kimonos: http://www.asusakura.jp/kimonos/english

• Maike

February 18, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

In the meantime, I have booked the Hibari Hostel for our stay and they have recommended this tour guide for Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and other areas: http://www.kaigotaxi-pine.com/sub3.html

• Accessible Japan

February 18, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for the great info – he looks perfect!  Adding him to my list 🙂

Viewing 1 - 10 of 11 replies

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now
Skip to content