Kyoto – accessible tour and geiko experience

• Kyoto – accessible tour and geiko experience

Posted by Maike on February 17, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Hi @accessiblejapan, it’s me again. Planning for 3 days Kyoto as part of our Japan trip in May. My friend is going a month earlier and told me about booking a “geiko experience”, which includes full geiko makeup, being dressed in a kimono and then have a mini photoshoot. Do you know of such a place that would be accessible and where people would be happy to help with such experience as far as possible? I am using an electric wheelchair but will bring my portable ramps along to manage single steps. Not able to stand, so not expecting to be able to fully dress in a kimono, but maybe just the top part for a nice photo 🙂

Also, I have booked the wheelchair accessible tour for Tokyo with Viator. Is there a similar tour for Kyoto?

Thanks, Maike

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

February 17, 2019 at 8:45 pm

Hello,

If you tell me the place your friend is going I can try to contact them.  Alternatively, I know a place that rents accessible kimonos for wheelchair users.  No makeup, but a kimono you can wear delivered to your hotel.

I knew a guy in Kyoto giving tours, but he changed jobs.  But @Takeshi may be able to help.

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 9:00 pm

Thanks @accessiblejapan, I will check with my friend and let you know.

For the accessible kimonos, do you rent them for a day or how does it work? Will they help you to get into it or easy to do yourself?

I will try to get in touch with @takeshi as well.

• Accessible Japan

February 17, 2019 at 9:05 pm

The kimonos are done by a lady I know. She sends it to your hotel by courier and you send it back when done. I think it is a few days. Should I contact her to ask?

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 9:07 pm

That would be great, thanks.

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 10:39 pm

@accessiblejapan, I somehow cannot reply to your direct message, but yes I am in Singapore. I have been for 9 yrs and before that 4 yrs in Hong Kong. You can drop me an email at [email protected]

• Maike

February 17, 2019 at 11:58 pm

The contact for the geiko experience is this company: http://kyoto-maiko.com/english

• Accessible Japan

February 18, 2019 at 7:12 pm

Hi again,

Sorry, called the maiko place but they had already closed.  Will try again in the morning.

Here is the link for the accessible kimonos: http://www.asusakura.jp/kimonos/english

• Maike

February 18, 2019 at 8:32 pm

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

In the meantime, I have booked the Hibari Hostel for our stay and they have recommended this tour guide for Osaka, Kyoto, Nara and other areas: http://www.kaigotaxi-pine.com/sub3.html

• Accessible Japan

February 18, 2019 at 8:40 pm

Thanks for the great info – he looks perfect!  Adding him to my list 🙂

• Accessible Japan

February 19, 2019 at 9:36 am

Hello,

OK, just got off the phone with the maiko place.  Unfotunately there are 4-5 steps into the building, one more entrance step (genkan) into the business and maybe one or two at various places inside – reaffirming that Japan loves steps (T_T)

I asked if it would be possible to do it at another location, like your hotel.  She said it was possible, but:

• You would need permission from the hotel (as there may be a possibility of making a mess with the makeup, some hotels don’t like the commotion of non-guests coming etc)
    • You wouldn’t be able to browse and select a kimono, they would just bring one
    • The price would go up because they would need extra time/effort
    • The beginning of May is Golden Week (a very long week of holidays) and they are very busy and sending staff may not be possible that week

So, it is possible, but a number of hurdles to overcome.

After getting an OK from your hotel, try contacting the maiko place at [email protected]

Hope this helps.

Skip to content