Lifting a folded scooter into a taxi

• Lifting a folded scooter into a taxi

Posted by AlanBE on February 24, 2023 at 2:25 am

My wife & I shall be in Japan for a 9 day cruise & then 10 days sight-seeing in Tokyo. I have a folding electric scooter that I shall use to explore areas, but will need a taxi to get to far-flung areas to start with. In all the countries we’ve been to, I fold the scooter, then the taxi driver lifts it (21 kg) into the boot with no question or problem whatsoever. However, I have read that in Japan the taxi driver does NOT handle luggage – is that true? If so, is there a firm that would do that? My wife & I together could lift it, with some difficulty, so it would be much preferable if the driver could do it.

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year, 2 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • CPN Heather

February 24, 2023 at 4:38 am

As a travel advisor, I have had clients use mobile scooters in taxis before. The first hurdle will be convincing the driver that it will fit as most believe it will not. Although I wasn’t there, my client told me that her husband generally lifted it for her. I am a “just in case” packer, so I often travel with a large, heavy suitcase. More often than not, the taxi drivers will help me, or I suggest to do it together on the count of 3. Occasionally, though, there will be a driver that sits deliberately sits inside or stands with his hands in his pockets while I struggle on my own. If you are pre-arranging taxi transport, perhaps you can advise them of your situation and ask for assistance in advance.

• Ohayo Travel

February 24, 2023 at 9:36 am

Half of them come of out of the car and help you without asking anything. 30% would say oh im sorry i wil take care. 20% may be reluctant or hesitant. In Tokyo, there are many taxis. So you can find the right one quite easily. This is what I think.

• Josh Grisdale

February 24, 2023 at 12:08 pm

I think it was @joanp but someone did mention that having their wheelchair folded in advance helped get taxis since it made it more obvious that a) it folded and b) it could fit in the trunk/boot.

• Joan Pahisa

February 24, 2023 at 6:48 pm

Yes, it’s as @joshgrisdale said. If taxis saw me on the wheelchair, I barely got any of them to stop (actually none I think). If I was standing next to the wheelchair with its wheels removed and the seat folded, then some taxis stopped. The ones that stopped also put it themselves on the trunk. If they see you out of the scooter, they’ll know that you don’t need an accessible taxi and, if it’s folded, they can see that it may fit in the trunk. It may take some taxis to stop, but, as there are many, eventually someone will. Also, if you book it from the hotel, they can explain your needs in advance, so the one that’ll come will be ready. I hope you enjoy your stay in Japan!

• AlanBE

February 26, 2023 at 11:49 pm

Thanks so much for all your replies. They have changed my outlook on the
    taxis from pessimistic to rather optimistic – wonderful!

• Josh Grisdale

February 27, 2023 at 9:01 am

Always glad to help!

Feel free to start new discussions about any other questions you might have. Also, let us know how it goes with the taxis!

Skip to content