Maid Cafe – Pokemon Cafe

• Maid Cafe – Pokemon Cafe

Posted by Deb on August 21, 2023 at 9:24 am

My anime/ video gamer son uses an electric wheelchair – and really wants to experience a couple of things when we are in a short term layover time pre/post cruise late in October. He would love to eat at a Maid Cafe and a Pokemon Cafe – are there any that are accessible – and where are they located? I’ve see something about Ikebukuro and wondered if that was a good place to stay hotel wise?

all suggestions welcome and appreciated. you may reply here or direct to my email [email protected]

Deb

Jul replied 12 months ago 6 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Andrew Coombs

August 21, 2023 at 9:41 am

I can provide some information on the official Pokemon Cafes. You can make a reservation through the website. There is one in Tokyo (Nihonbashi), and one in Osaka (Shinsaibashi). Looking at their locations, and the pictures on the website, they should be accessible for whelchair users.

Homepage: https://www.pokemoncenter-online.com/cafe/en/

Sorry I don’t have any information on maid cafes, their accessibility would vary by location.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 21, 2023 at 10:25 am

While @Andy_C has the Pokemon covered, I can point you to an article from Accessible Japan from a little why back that covers some maid cafes.

https://www.accessible-japan.com/disability-and-dreams-in-japans-maid-cafes/

It is a bit old, but I think they are big enough stores to have survived the pandemic.

• Deb

August 25, 2023 at 1:33 am

thanks for this – I’ll take a peek

• Kamil

August 23, 2023 at 5:14 pm

Hi! Some years ago when I visited Tokyo I went to a maid café (which was a fun experience!). I don’t remember the address or name unfortunately. We found it by asking maids in the streets to point us out to an accessible one – most were not.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      August 23, 2023 at 5:31 pm

Good point! They are often on the street near their cafe trying to get customers.

But mostly I wanted to say “nice pic!” To Kamil 😁

• schroth-sensei

August 24, 2023 at 8:57 pm

Just a couple days ago I went to one of the largest Pokemon centers (store). It’s in the Ikebukuro area inside the Sunshine City (multi-level mall), Pokémon Center Mega Tokyo, just down the road a bit from Higashi-Ikebukuro Station. It’s a large store and easy to get around in a wheelchair, though you may need patients with the crowds depending on when you go. They also have Pikachu Sweets Cafe, I took a look but didn’t order anything, also spacious (like everything in the mall actually), doesn’t look like you need any reservations but can be packed at lunch/dinner times. If you’re into One Piece Anime, they have a shop. If you like capsule toys (gashapon) they have the biggest number of machines! Aquarium? they have one! Anime-themed restaurants? yup! As well as many more-normal shops. You can easily spend a day here!

As for restrooms, they seem to have private Universal/Family restrooms on each level. I looked in two, both had bidet, grab bars, accessible sinks, and more.

• Deb

August 25, 2023 at 1:32 am

Thanks for this – I had been looking at this area instead of Akihabara… were you in a hotel nearby?

• schroth-sensei

August 25, 2023 at 7:54 pm

I am not nearby Ikebukuro, I’m in Yokohama area (about 1-hour 20-minutes by subway to the mall).
      I would recommend a hotel on the JR Yamanote Line loop, if you’re flying in at Haneda then it wouldn’t take too long to get to a hotel near a station on the loop. On the loop you can very easily get to many sightseeing spot (i.g. Ikebukuro, Akihabara, Shinjuku, etc.)

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    August 28, 2023 at 10:09 pm

Hi Deb

I was in Akihabara today and went to a building called Akiba Culture Zone and they had a maid cafe on the 5th floor so I went and asked. There were two steps up into it but according to the maid at the entrance they have a ramp.

https://www.akibacultureszone.com/

• Deb

September 4, 2023 at 8:04 am

thanks, Josh – we’ll look!

• Jul

September 5, 2023 at 6:05 am

For Pokémon café : yes it is accessible in wheelchair . But you have to make a réservation on the web site ( around one month before the date and to be ready to click very Quickly : it was for july). Maybe it is easier if you go in another month .

Skip to content