Mobility scooters in hotels

• Mobility scooters in hotels

Posted by Quest on July 20, 2023 at 2:14 pm

Hello. I just received an email from a hotel in Hiroshima saying “only wheelchairs are allowed in the hotel for the mobility challenged”.

I am OK to use a cane inside the hotel if it’s a safety issue- or to be considerate to other guests, or for whatever reason, but has anyone had to cancel a hotel reservation over something like this? Any similar experiences?

wilson.93.david replied 1 year ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    July 20, 2023 at 10:15 pm

A few years back I heard of someone who was asked to leave it in the hallway instead of bringing it in their room… but never restricted to outside.

Now, mobility scooters are still very rare here, so the hotel staff maybe thinking if the big 4-wheel scooters seniors drive on the street and not be aware that smaller ones exist.

You may want to send a picture of it to the hotel so they get a better idea. They may even have looked up scooter and seen pictures of vespas…

However if that still doesn’t work, might be better to try a more understanding hotel…

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    July 21, 2023 at 10:04 am

I don’t think there is any legal reason, but maybe @ohayotravel knows more.

• Ohayo Travel

Concierge
    July 21, 2023 at 10:37 am

There are cases that the whole building is with wooden floor and guests are supposed to step on it after taking off their shoes. In such circumstances, scooters may be declined. Other cases are that they have not enough space to let the guest move around with wheelchair or scooters. These they should normally be aware of the legal environment that they cannot simply reject the accessibility needs without reason though.

• wilson.93.david

July 21, 2023 at 8:11 pm

They simply can’t deny it. Well, my initial thought about this situation is maybe they have a space problem for a mobility scooter to be moving around inside.

Skip to content