Moving to Japan as a fresh graduate

• Moving to Japan as a fresh graduate

Posted by carln1 on June 9, 2020 at 11:59 am

Hi Josh and all!

My name is Carl (from the Philippines) and I was born with orthopedic disability though I move around using a wheelchair. I have visited Japan twice already (November 2015 and New Years 2018-19) and I enjoyed it because of how the country’s open and accommodating for people with disabilities. However, I decided to pursue migration to Japan

I graduated from a bachelor’s degree in IT and currently a fresh graduate with no experience. I was wondering if you guys have any experience or tips that you can share on how to migrate…

Do I need to gain experience first in my home country? or is there other ways like becoming a student or english teacher first?

Thank you everyone and nice to meet you!

carln1 replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

June 10, 2020 at 11:33 am

Hi Carl!

Great to hear you love Japan!

Well, you have one of the biggest requirements – a degree. You cannot move here without a degree (or a few other situations).

First, the good news: if you get a job and therefore a visa, you are entitled to the same benefits as anyone else with a disability here. So, if you get here you can get personal care workers, rail discounts etc.

The challenge is always with finding a job… and you need an employer to sponsor your visa. They become responsible for you in a way, so, it is risk for them. And if you have a disability, it may seem like to big of a risk. I’m not trying to be discouraging, but just letting you know their thought process.

So, I suggest you just keep applying and applying while building skills at home. Also, you may want to consider studying in Japan – even at a language school. Getting a work visa is hard, but switching from a student visa to a work visa is much easier because you can show your future employer you are doing fine in Japan so they don’t need to worry about that.

Hope this helps!

Josh

• carln1

June 11, 2020 at 12:57 pm

• carln1

June 11, 2020 at 12:59 pm

Hi Josh!Thank you for the reply! ^_^ I think it is a great idea to consider studying in a language school and then switch to a work visa when I get a job there. In the meantime, I do agree to build-upskills first at my home country while working on finding a language school in Japan. I’ll do my best!

I’ve watched your featured videos from “Life where I’m from” YouTube channel and was surprised to know that I’m not alone who is able to live in Japan even with a disability.

Inspiring as always!

Carl

• Josh Grisdale

June 11, 2020 at 1:26 pm

Let’s increase that number!

Since you have been here to Japan, please share any tips or information for others!

Also, we have a group called Japan – Just for Fun. Please join it too.

• carln1

June 12, 2020 at 6:18 pm

will do! also I already joined Japan – Just For Fun group… will be sharing things about Japan and travel soon. ^_^

Skip to content