Narita to Maebashi Gunma

• schroth-sensei

June 22, 2022 at 1:23 pm

Hello Luna,

You shouldn’t need to worry about your wheelchair and most trains in Japan (if you use a scooter, it could be an issue though), the trains are VERY accessible and you’ll regularly get extra help getting to your destination which can make it a breeze! If you haven’t already, we recommend checking out Accessible Japan’s transportation section (here: https://www.accessible-japan.com/wheelchair-accessible-trains-and-subways-in-japan/). Any of the choices on the link you sent should be fine, so probably the quickest or least transfers. I would consider a JR Rail Pass for the time you’re there if you plan to do a lot of train travel (you must buy it before you go, it may cover the cost of JR lines and possibly the Shinkansen in your mentioned trip), it can make it super easy to get around.

Also, make sure to check out Accessible Japan’s Shinkansen (AKA Bullet Train) section if you decide to use one. Seats available for wheelchairs can sometimes be limited, which could possibly cause a delay, so consider getting them as early as you can. It’s best to plan ahead with it, I originally didn’t account for this myself one trip, but luckily I didn’t have a problem getting a ticket (and this was at a busier time) which would of otherwise delayed me more than an hour.

Side note: I find that Google maps provide good suggestions for trains
    as well, additionally they often have 360 street views and photos of
    stations that can make planning easier.

The buses you mentioned may be currently suspended due to previous Covid-19 restrictions and the current tourist restrictions requiring tour packages. I personally don’t know what kind of traveling around you can do beyond the purchased package (if any), so this may effect many decisions in your trip if you’re planning to go soon (e.g. a JR Rail Pass may not be worth it if the package limits your traveling). I’d recommend getting as much information about travel packages as possible if you plan to go that route.

If you have any additional questions we’ll try to get you some answers. Otherwise, I hope that helps,

-Justin

• KM Luna

June 22, 2022 at 2:42 pm

Hello Justin, thanks for your immediate response. Very much appreciated. I might be overthinking since this is my first time to travel overseas with my wheelchair. And adding to that the few resources I found online regarding Gunma unlike the larger cities.

I will be seeking an outpatient medical treatment in Gunma, so I will be getting a medical visa.

My next question would be travel within Maebashi – as per my Airbnb host – if ever I need a taxi, I may need to use an app called Go but this has no English translation. Do you know of any taxi apps I can use if ever I may need one? Or translation apps which can help me communicate with the locals?

Thank you so much.

• Josh Grisdale

June 22, 2022 at 4:30 pm

Hi,

Thank you for joining us. As a new wheelchair traveller, it must feel overwhelming. But don’t worry – we’re here for you!

As @schroth-sensei mentioned, nearly all main train lines should have accessible stations.

If in doubt, try this website:

https://www.ecomo-rakuraku.jp/en

It will give you details about what each station offers. Additionally, most train lines offer a map of the station on their website. It is usually in English as well. But if you can’t find one you are looking for, let me know and I’ll look in Japanese.

As for the taxis, it might be best to start a separate discussion.

• KM Luna

June 22, 2022 at 4:42 pm

Hello Josh. Yes thank you so much for providing information. I will look into this.

Skip to content