Organizing a trip to Japan for a friend

• Organizing a trip to Japan for a friend

Posted by sophiesaguez on June 4, 2018 at 10:09 pm

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to organize a trip to Japan for a friend of mine who is in an electric wheel chair and she cannot speak anymore. She is travelling with her carer, and her sons (18 years old and 10 years old).

She would like to visit during the first week Kyoto and its area and on the second week she’d like to visit Tokyo. In between she wishes to take her sons to DisneyWorld.

I have plenty of questions but the main ones are around transportation. I see that it can be difficult to take the train with an electric wheel chair. Is that still the case ? She was thinking about taking the train from Kyoto to Tokyo.

Also I wonder how I can organize the transfer from the airport to the hotels and from the hotel to the train station in Kyoto. Ans how I can best organize the transfer from Tokyo train station to DisneyWorld and then from DisneyWord to the hotel in dowtown Tokyo.

More generally, do you know if it exists specialized company that could arrange these transfer for me ?

I’m sorry this is quite a big request, but I am a bit lost and I would really like to help my friend so that she can enjoy this trip she has been dreaming of.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
    Sophie

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

June 4, 2018 at 11:08 pm

Hello, thanks for using the forum!

I’ll get back to you on the other stuff afterwards, but just want to clarify:

Your friend uses a power wheelchair, or scooter?

Wheelchairs are completely fine.  It is scooters that become more iffy.

Thanks!

• sophiesaguez

June 5, 2018 at 12:31 am

Oh my mistake… I guess it is a power wheelchair. It is a wheelchair powered by electric motors.

• Accessible Japan

June 5, 2018 at 7:21 pm

Hello again,

OK, if it is a power / electric wheelchair, that it is fine on the trains.  Don’t worry!

You can get to most places in Kyoto and Tokyo by train and subway, but if you would like a car for extra help getting to and from the airport etc, try :

Hope it helps!

• sophiesaguez

June 5, 2018 at 7:37 pm

thank you very much for your help. It is highly appreciated !

• sophiesaguez

June 26, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Hello,

Me again, I was almost finalizing the booking for the transfers for my friend from Kansai to Kyoto and from her appartment in Kyoto to Kyoto train station using charterbusline and limousine as you proposed.
    Unfortunately, they just told me that they cannot take on board an electric wheel chair weighting 200 kg…
    Do you have any other idea how I can organize the transfers in Kyoto ?

Do you think Wilgo can help ?

Thanks for your help.
    Sophie

• Accessible Japan

June 26, 2018 at 5:25 pm

Hi,

Wilgo is only in Tokyo unfortunately.

Last time I was in Kyoto I used Cabik: http://www.cabik.co.jp/ , [email protected]

My wheelchair and me combined weight 200kg and it was fine.  The wheelchair lifts say “maximum 200kg” but they can go higher.  However, the staff doesn’t know this and will say it is impossible if you say 205kg.  So, try not to say it. 🙂

They only speak Japanese so only use very simple English.

Hope it helps!

Skip to content