Parkinsons

• Parkinsons

Posted by sunnycat on October 14, 2018 at 4:39 am

My husband has Parkinson’s. he is sometimes unstable on his feet and tires easily. Can one hire a wheelchair at tourist sites?

we are planning to visit Japan in November and take package excursions while there.

kyotoursjapan replied 5 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

October 14, 2018 at 12:04 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your question.  While a number of tourist sites in Japan offer wheelchairs which can be borrowed on a first-come-first-served basis, I would say it is only about 20-30% of the sites have them in Tokyo (Maybe @kyotoursjapan can comment on what it is like in Kyoto?).

Some nicer hotels also have wheelchairs you could use for the day (but you should confirm with the hotel in advance).

Otherwise, you can rent a wheelchair for the duration of your trip.  You can fill out our rental form (here: https://www.accessible-japan.com/renting-wheelchairs-hoists-japan/ ) and we can put you in touch with a rental company.

One of our community members here, @wilgo, may also have some advice.

Hope this helps.

• kyotoursjapan

October 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm

[quote quote=6874]Hello,

Thank you for your question. While a number of tourist sites in Japan offer wheelchairs which can be borrowed on a first-come-first-served basis, I would say it is only about 20-30% of the sites have them in Tokyo (Maybe @kyotoursjapan can comment on what it is like in Kyoto?).

[/quote]

Some large sightseeing locations have wheelchairs for usage by visitors. I’ve seen them at Sanjusangendo, Nijo Castle, and some others. Most, however, will not. I think renting a chair or staying at a hotel that will let you borrow one is the best bet. Most sightseeing spots do have an area to sit down and take a rest, but it you may be required to sit on the floor instead of a bench or chair.

Please be aware that sightseeing in Kyoto can involve a decent amount of walking, even when taking taxis between locations. Please check out a blog that I recently wrote about a day out sightseeing in a wheelchair in Kyoto for more info. https://www.accessible-japan.com/exploring-accessible-touring-in-kyoto/

Skip to content