Porter Service at Narita Airport

• Porter Service at Narita Airport

Posted by Kathie on January 22, 2024 at 2:26 am

Is there a porter service at Narita Airport to help us with luggage from the baggage claim area, through customs and to the taxi. We will have 3 large suitcases and I have to push my husband in his manual wheelchair and can’t manage the suitcases as well. Or are there luggage carts that he could push while I push him. We had a quote of $550 US from Jodogo and that’s out of our range. Thank you so much!

schroth-sensei replied 3 months, 1 week ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • HImom

January 22, 2024 at 8:13 am

I am not sure about Narita, as we flew into Haneda. From the time we got off the plane a porter helped us navigate thru the airport , get our luggage, customs, helped some of the family purchase bus tickets(they then took our luggage on the bus/not wheelchair accessible), purchase pasmo train card and then took me (in wheelchair) and my daugther to the train.

We didn’t request for the service, but they assisted. Because many services in Japan do not accept tips (and we weren’t sure about the porter), we brought candy/cookies from Hawaii and wrapped it up and gave to him.

Not sure what your plans are once you get your luggage, for other places in Japan we used the luggage service to deliver luggage from hotel to hotel, hotel to airport. We used https://airporter.co.jp they were very reasonable and we had excellent service from them. You can check out their site, as you may be able to setup for when you get to Narita.

• schroth-sensei

January 23, 2024 at 2:29 am

Hi Kathie,
    Firstly if you haven’t, before your flight make sure your flight ticket is marked as needing Wheelchair Assistance, sometimes under “special assistance” (I recommend talking with your airline company directly to ensure this). This typically will let the airport attendants in Japan know in advance that you will need help, which they will usually be waiting for you at the planes exit. In my experiences at both Narita & Haneda I have had 1-2 attendants help with carry-on’s as well as processing through security, customs, and getting bags from baggage claim (Japan’s service industry is awesome!). From there they helped with train tickets and to the train itself, or at Haneda to the train station turnstiles, where they let us go, just like Hlmom said above. 🙂 I haven’t used airport taxis myself, but I imagine if you set up your accessible taxi to pick you up at the airport, that the airport attendants will most likely help you to the Taxi Stand (just make sure you know which terminal the arrangement was made for, as it seems only Terminal 3 has a dedicated space for wheelchair pick-us, more info here: https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/access/taxi ). I usually travel with just enough luggage for my caregiver and I to carry, but if you have a lot of luggage to manage, then maybe Hlmom’s suggestion of a luggage service could be useful as even accessible cars in Japan can be a tight fit. I haven’t used such services myself, but if you do use it please share your experiences as it could be beneficial to myself and others on tabifolk who may need it themselves in the future.

I hope that helps,
    -Justin

Skip to content