Power Wheelchair Rental

• Power Wheelchair Rental

Posted by kevin97win on February 28, 2024 at 10:25 am

Hey everyone, I’m traveling for the first time to Japan at the end of March and would like to rent a power wheelchair for a long term trip (3 weeks). Does anyone have any resources I can turn to? Or perhaps any advice/tips from personal experience?

I am diagnosed with cerebral palsy and cannot walk long distances. I will land in Tokyo (Haneda) on March 20th and will fly out the same airport on April 10th. I will be bringing my own manual wheelchair to get around the airport but am interested in renting a power wheelchair to utilize for my trip.

My itinerary is as follows:

March 20th- 25th: Tokyo and Osaka

March 25th-April 6th: Okinawa

April 7th-April 10th: back in Tokyo.

I’d like more information on types of power wheelchairs that would be most practical for this itinerary, the range on the battery and information on how/where I can pick up/drop off the wheelchair. Also would like to know if its possible to take the power wheelchair with me to Okinawa. I intend on leaving my manual wheelchair at our first hotel in Tokyo with luggage hold services and utilizing the power wheelchair for the majority of my trip. Thank you so much for your help.

gimom07 replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Kelvin13

February 28, 2024 at 4:39 pm

How are you travelling between cities?

Train? Have you booked your tickets, reserved a wheelchair space?

• DavidHase

March 4, 2024 at 9:28 am

Hi Kelvin13
      If you have access to our carts, no special space is needed.

Our carts are the size of a small carry-on bag when folded up, so they can be carried on a bullet train.

If you have a non-foldable wheelchair, you will need to reserve a wheelchair space on the Shinkansen in advance.

On conventional JR trains, there are spaces for wheelchairs, and JR station staff will assist you in getting on and off the train. There is no special charge for this service.

• DavidHase

February 28, 2024 at 4:41 pm

Hello. – Hello.

https://noaa.jp/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKJNW-VrXSM

Hello. – Hello.

This is not an electric wheelchair, but an electric scooter,

In Japan, it is a cart that can be ridden indoors, just like a wheelchair. It is a mobility vehicle that runs on sidewalks at speeds of up to 6KM per hour.

It can travel about 14 km on a single charge, making it ideal for sightseeing. You can ride it to your hotel room.

It is small and foldable, so it can be carried on Shinkansen bullet trains, airplanes, sightseeing buses, and cabs.

Please see our rental site.

We hope it will be useful to you.

• gimom07

March 18, 2024 at 6:35 am

Hi David. Is there anywhere in Japan, such as trains, this foldable scooter is not allowed? I assume small restaurants and shops may not have room — which is okay because I csn walk a little – but wonder if anything I should be concerned about. I can get on trains riding it, right? Will they get a ramp thing for me just as they would if riding a regular wheelchair?

Also, I have an issue because the website is in Japanese and I don’t read or speak Japanese. (I am learning but only know very little). Is this something you can assist me with?

Also, are these wheelchairs for rent only, or can I purchase one?

Thank you.

• Kelvin13

February 28, 2024 at 7:58 pm

That looks very good, range about 8.5miles. How quickly do they reach full charge?

• DavidHase

March 2, 2024 at 8:45 am

sorry for my delay reply
      almost 6 houres for full charge by home power supply.

• DavidHase

March 2, 2024 at 8:50 am

You can rent CART from https://noaa.bizrent.biz/
      If you need assistance, please feel free to contact us.

• Jeff Bell

March 1, 2024 at 11:35 am

Hello Kelvin

We traveled to Japan 9 months ago and hired an electric wheelchair in Tokyo for the duration of our trip (about a month). The wheelchair was delivered to and picked up from our accommodation in Tokyo and we were able to take it with us wherever we went by train (Kanazawa, Kyoto, and several other cities). The wheelchair is easier on trains than a scooter as spaces are tight.

We used Marudai Motor Company ([email protected]). Small company – the owner Mr Tokihiko Okura is a delight and he was very responsive.

You could get more information from an old post on a website called littlemissturtle.com (destination Japan , mobility Scooter Rental Experience…

Might be worth a try.

Skip to content