Problems with customs in Narita?

  • Problems with customs in Narita?

    Posted by babyshark on June 10, 2019 at 7:21 am

    I’m just a bit nervous about going through customs at Narita airport.  We’re going next week (just my two children and I) to help distract us from the fact that my husband (their Dad) suddenly passed away from a brain hemorrhage on May 3.  That being said, I would like to bring my prescribed medications with me on our 10 day trip to Tokyo and Kyoto, however the internet is scaring me about bringing generic adderall and tramadol.  How should I handle this?  The last thing I need is to get arrested at customs and have my children abandoned at the airport, but I also don’t need to be going through withdrawls and have a miserable trip!  Please advise!

    Accessible Japan replied 5 years ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

    June 10, 2019 at 11:19 am


    I’m sorry to hear about your husband/children’s father.

    Since Adderall is not allowed, I would assume that a generic version would also not be allowed.  However, since the problem is the ingredients, if the ingredients are different it could be Ok… however, you really need to see the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare’s website for a real answer:

    While some drugs are completely illegal, others are allowed if you contact the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare first and get permission.


  • Accessible Japan

    June 12, 2019 at 8:14 pm

    I chatted with someone who recently came to Japan and she said:

    Unfortunately, it is true that adderall is very strictly prohibited in Japan (among several other drugs). My friend that takes adderall has just chosen not to take the medication while she is here. However, I’m not really sure if there is another alternative to taking adderall for treatment of ADHD which is the issue. It is possible she could speak to a doctor when she lands in Japan?

    As for other non-illegal prescription medicines, as long as it is under a 1 month supply, you can bring it in without a problem (but make sure it does not have a banned ingredient).

    If you need more than a 1 month supply (which I don’t think is the case here), you would apply for the “Yakkan Shoumei” (an import certificate) and the detailed instructions and forms to fill out are located on this pdf:

    Hope this helps

Log in to reply.

Skip to content