Public Health, Aging, and Disability Research

• Public Health, Aging, and Disability Research

Posted by emily on June 23, 2018 at 4:11 am

Dear Mr. Grisdale (or anyone else with helpful information),

Konnichiwa!

My name is Emily Starnes, an American graduate student pursuing both a Master’s Degree in Public Health and a Disability Studies Certificate at the University of Georgia (UGA).  I am a part of a short-term study abroad team in Japan from July 4 – 18, with UGA’s College of Public Health, and I will also complete my Disability Studies independent research course as well.

My research topic is aging and disability in Japan from a public health perspective.  Regarding the public health side, I plan to discuss this topic with some community leaders, the professors traveling with the class, and Japanese faculty and students while in Hamamatsu and Kumamoto.  I believe they will definitely provide great insight.

I hope there might be an opportunity to possibly meet someone from your organization while in Japan, or visit via email to discuss my topic.  I thought perhaps you may have suggestions of other disability-related organizations I might contact as well.

Specifically, I am interested in perspectives on how Japan is currently handling the growing number of older people with disabilities, and/or who will likely develop age-related disability?  What are some programs and strategies related to aging and disability support that are going well, and what can be improved in the future? Also, what do you think Americans can learn from Japan in terms of public health and disability policies and interventions?

Thank you very much for any assistance you might be able to provide with my research.  I know this request is relatively short notice, but I appreciate any help you might offer.

Warm Regards,
    Emily Starnes

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Accessible Japan

June 23, 2018 at 6:40 am

Hi Emily!

Just sent you a friend request.  Once you accept it we can send private messages and share contact details.

Skip to content