Questions for Upcoming Trip

• Questions for Upcoming Trip

Posted by Jason C. on October 31, 2022 at 11:58 am

Hi all! This site has been extremely helpful planning my trip for a week in March 2023.

I have osteoarthritis so walking around small areas is fine (like a small store or restaurant) but I have a folding power wheel chair I use to get around long distances – I use this and it’s changed my life https://www.foldandgowheelchairs.com/benefits-of-magnesium/. But I have a few questions.

1) Say I wanted to go into a small store with a cane – could I, I don’t know, fold the wheelchair and lock it like a bike or park it outside a store? Bigger stores not worried but curious about tinier shops (see Akihabara)

2) i will also need to bring one prescribed injection and my CPAP machine – if I am there for a week do I need to fill out the Yunyu Kakunin-sho or will customs let me through if I bring a list of prescriptions from my doctor. I seem to be getting conflicting info.

Thank you for insights in advance!

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

October 31, 2022 at 12:52 pm

Hello Jason,

As you said there are stores with narrow isles, though you chair may fit (even in many popular Akihabara stores my chair fit enough to see the bulk of the goods), you should be able to leave your chair nearby with little concern (no joke, Japan is very safe) but I would recommend informing store staff and maybe leaving it by the registry if possible. Chances are the staff will gladly help you and keep an eye on it. You could possibly print out a note asking in Japanese if you can temporarily leave it while shopping if you want to streamline the situation. Nevertheless, if you still feel unsafe about leaving it then by all means lock it.

As for your medication, it definitely depends on the medicine involved. If you haven’t already, check out our sister site Accessible Japan, especially the notes on medication here: https://www.accessible-japan.com/bringing-medicine-to-japan/

It should get you started,but if you have further specific questions let us know and we will try to find an answer.

-Justin

• Josh Grisdale

November 1, 2022 at 3:44 pm

I think that Justin is very correct, leaving the wheelchair outside should be fine. If you have a bag etc attached to it with valuables, I wouldn’t leave that. Japan is very safe, but not perfect. 🙂

For medicine, especially an injection, I would suggest contacting the proper authorities (https://www.mhlw.go.jp/english/policy/health-medical/pharmaceuticals/01.html, emails at bottom). The people at customs are not doctors, and if they see something suspicious, they will go by the book even if you say “hey, look I have a disability!”

Will look for more info about CPAP

• Josh Grisdale

November 1, 2022 at 5:09 pm

My friend who uses a CPAP says it is something you need to bring up with the airline, not immigration in Japan – and make sure your flight has plugs in the seat!

Skip to content