Seeing Sumo Wrestling in a Wheelchair

• Seeing Sumo Wrestling in a Wheelchair

Posted by Josh Grisdale on May 2, 2018 at 9:16 am

Hello,

I saw sumo wrestling in Tokyo many years ago and there was accessible seating.  But I don’t remember how I reserved those tickets…

@maria and @kamil, you went to sumo wrestling, right?  How did you get tickets to the accessible seats?

Thanks!

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • maria

May 2, 2018 at 5:21 pm

Hi. We visited the Ryogoku Kokugikan, and it happened that on that day a school sumo championship was taking place, so it was open to the public. Therefore we could enter without buying tickets…

• Josh Grisdale

May 2, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Lucky!

I wonder if that is normal as I remember buying tickets…

Thank you!

• maria

May 3, 2018 at 4:44 pm

Yeah, we were quite lucky to even actually see some sumo matches ^_^

I guess it was just for this event, that people (in general) could enter for free.

• Accessible Japan

May 8, 2018 at 8:05 pm

Hello,

Checking the Sumo Association website, for official tournaments, tickets must be purchased in advance.

Unfortunately, you can only reserve the wheelchair seating by phone. So, perhaps the best option is to ask your hotel or tour company to call.

They list some points to keep in mind when reserving the tickets:

• If your wheelchair is wider than 65cm, please tell them at the time of booking
    • Only individuals can book the tickets (not large groups)
    • The names of the wheelchair user and their helpers must be stated (and will be checked)
    • The seating is reserved for those in wheelchairs and their helpers, not other attendees (which is nice, you don’t need to worry about an able bodied person booking them)

The phone number is 0570-02-9310

This is just for tournaments.  As Maria and Kamil mentioned, if you are lucky you can go to non-tournaments for free.

Hope this helps someone!

Skip to content