Solo traveller – do a need accompanying at Disney?

• Solo traveller – do a need accompanying at Disney?

Posted by Danica on December 14, 2023 at 10:09 pm

Trying to understand this. Can I purchase a disability ticket when going solo, or will it raise red flags if I don’t have an accompanying guest? I travel independently, use a walker, and can self transfer and self manage.

Bren replied 2 months, 4 weeks ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

December 15, 2023 at 3:33 am

I can’t say for certain, but I’m fairly sure that the required +1 is for those with disabilities who need specific help with daily routines and/or during social interactions with others. So, in your case I don’t think you would need another person to enter with.

That being said, the Disneyland Tokyo website does state that you must have specific proof of your disability with you at the gate (a certificate for a physical, mental, cognitive, or developmental disability), but you can be denied entry at the gate if staff is not able to confirm non-Japanese government certificates/proof. It’s up to you if you want to try and use any proof from your doctor, at the time I went I didn’t want to take the risk so I just bought regular tickets.

Lastly a heads up, you may have credit card issues when buying tickets online through the official Disneyland Tokyo website! It was only a couple months ago when I bought mine and my cards were denied for no apparent reason (and I did inform the credit card companies that I would be using them in Japan), and a friend who lives in Japan has had similar issues with local Japanese-based cards! I ended up having to purchase them from a travel agent within Japan. If you have problems with online purchasing then you may want to immediately call your CC company and see what they can do (multiple attempts could flag as fraud to the CC company, and you definitely don’t want a cancelled card you may need during your trip).

I hope that help,
    -Justin

• Josh Grisdale

December 15, 2023 at 10:44 am

Excellent answer from @schroth-sensei

My feeling is that it is just saying “don’t expect us to help you transfer/provide physical assistance getting on rides” and providing a rule they can point to in case they need to not allow someone entry

• Danica

December 15, 2023 at 10:49 am

Brilliant, thank you both. This is how I was *wanting* to interpret it.

The credit card payment issue is my next thing to navigate!

I am coming from Australia, so disability documentation should be suitable! We have various companion card / NDIS / disability pension / accessible parking. 🤞🏽 Will also get a specific dr note listing impairments for DAS registration.

• Bren

February 4, 2024 at 9:12 am

I also have all these Australian disability concession cards etc. I read somewhere if you have a companion card you can apply for the equivalent card in Japan. Do you know anything about this?

Skip to content