staying in hotels with infants

• staying in hotels with infants

Posted by astrogrrl on January 25, 2019 at 9:57 pm

We are traveling to Japan in March and having a bit of trouble getting accessible accommodation. We need a room for myself (in wheelchair), wife and twin toddlers and then separate room for my in-laws who are coming.

The booking company have stuffed me around for a few weeks but have now sent a quote and itinerary. However they are charging full adult rates for our twin toddlers who will be just under 2years old during the trip and for each location the quote is for 3 rooms (a double and 2 twins).

What is the situation with staying in hotels with infants under 2 years old?

Even looking online it seems most rooms can only have max 3 people.

I am starting to get really stressed as I am worried we will not be able to find accommodation.

We arrive March 9 and were hoping to have 4 nights in Akihabara (or Tokyo I guess) then 1 night in Nagoya on our way to Takayama for 3 nights then to Kyoto for 5 nights then back to Tokyo for 2 nights before returning to Australia. Also hoping to get places near train stations to make it easy to get around.

Wendy

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 2 months ago 3 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

January 25, 2019 at 11:06 pm

I’m not sure. @nyandi0412 as a guide, have you heard anything about child rates?

• nyandi0412

January 25, 2019 at 11:23 pm

Hi Wendy,

I’ve never heard charging with the infants under 2 years old. The travel agency is really wired.

You should search again the hotels. You can find the other options definitly:)

Best,

Kyoko

• astrogrrl

February 6, 2019 at 1:18 am

We are still having quite a bit of trouble getting accommodation. The travel agent is now working with a different company to try and find something.  It looks like they have found some places but I am worried that these places may not have the facilities I need as it seems Japanese hotels have a slightly different definition of accessible than here in Australia.  We have already had to cancel one lot of accommodation in Kyoto after discovering that their idea of accessible was if a tiny and narrow old empty manual wheelchair could get in the room.

This is what the new bookers have so far:

09MARCH – 13MARCH – Keio Plaza Tokyo – x1 Universal Room & x1 Double Room
    13MARCH – 14MARCH – Nagoya JR Gate Tower Hotel – x1 Universal Twin Room & x1 Double Room
    14MARCH – 17MARCH – Best Western Hotel Takayama – x1 Universal Twin Room & x1 Deluxe Twin Room

but these nights alone are almost $5000 Australian. We still need 5 nights in Kyoto and 2 more back in Tokyo (hopefully Akihabara) as well.

Has anyone here had experience with these places?

This whole trip has been a nightmare to organise. It is like a game of Chinese whispers with travel agent and the contacts they have.  It is a pity there is not a dedicated place that can find the best disabled accommodation to meet needs.  I am now worried I will get there and things will not be suitable.

Wendy

• Accessible Japan

February 6, 2019 at 9:56 am

Hi Wendy,

Sorry to hear you are not having a good time with your travel agent.

You are very correct, there are very few standards here and more often than not the interpretation of “accessible” is left to the hotel owner.  The only real law that I am aware of is that for any hotel with more than 50 rooms must have 1 accessible room… that is it.  From my contacts in the government, I am under the impression that standardization regulations are being worked on.  But that won’t be in time for your visit.

This is something I always bring up when at a speaking events, and will do so again next week (on a panel discussion with members from the tourism industry).

While I have no experience in staying at those hotels, I know that Keio has recently renovated.  Here is the website: https://www.keioplaza.com/rooms/universal.html

To help the best I can, we have a database of hotels on our website.  Unfortunately, since it is just me, most of the data is stuff from the web.  (Though, often the Japanese side of hotel websites has more info so I use that.)  I hope it helps, even a little.

Tokyo: https://www.accessible-japan.com/wheelchair-accessible-hotels-tokyo/

Kyoto: https://www.accessible-japan.com/wheelchair-accessible-hotels-kyoto/

Other areas: https://www.accessible-japan.com/accessible-hotels-areas-japan/

• astrogrrl

February 8, 2019 at 5:19 pm

I did actually share some of the ones from your site with them but I think the travel agent was sticking to hotels that are on the list from their wholesalers.

• nyandi0412

February 11, 2019 at 5:20 pm

Hi Wendy,

I called to make sure the all hotels you mentioned. They are very welcomed with barrier free and hospitality. Because of 4 stars hotel they are!

I really saw through Travel ageny’s way… It’s not fair!!

Josh san,

I’m interested in joining your panel discussion you’ll talk! Please give me DM if I can come 🙂

Thanks,

Kyoko

• Accessible Japan

February 11, 2019 at 5:32 pm

Yes, that is the bad side of some agencies – they have their hands tied in terms of deals, which is not always the best.  Though, if they are in deals with the hotels, they should at least be able to help you get information.  Try asking for pictures / measurements etc.

Kyoko-san,

This is the panel discussion, but registration is closed by the looks of it:

http://www.pp.u-tokyo.ac.jp/events/2018-12-19-17881/

• nyandi0412

February 11, 2019 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I’m out of Tokyo on the date. Please let me know if you know some other event in future!

Best,

Kyoko

• Accessible Japan

February 11, 2019 at 5:53 pm

For sure!

Skip to content