Support worker/nursing

• Support worker/nursing

Posted by Guy Halliburton on September 11, 2023 at 10:23 am

Hi,

my son is a C5 level tetraplegic who requires morning assistance with bowel cares & showering, typically for 2-3 hours per morning. Does anyone know if there are there nursing agencies that can supply such staff. We would be traveling in the Nagano & Niigata prefectures.

neurohealth replied 3 weeks, 2 days ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    September 11, 2023 at 12:11 pm

This might be challenging as most care services are through government services and not out-of-pocket private companies.

Do you speak Japanese?

I know one place that was offering such services, but they haven’t had any updates on social media since before the pandemic, so I’m not sure they are still operating, but may want to try: https://caregiver-japan.com/caregiver/

• Guy Halliburton

September 11, 2023 at 12:34 pm

Hi Josh,

thanks for the link. I thought my question was a long shot. And no, I don’t speak Japanese. Potentially I may be able to travel with a friend who is fluent (not Japanese but grew up there). So I take it there are generally not private nursing agencies in Japan.

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      September 11, 2023 at 12:48 pm

At least not common. You may want to try contacting Ohayo Travel (https://ohatra.com/en) as Nomura-san has a lot of contacts. I have heard of some physical care support for travelers, but it is aimed at elderly Japanese and would expect that Japanese is needed. Maybe your friend can help. Here is a big one: https://www.aelclub.com

I certainly don’t know everything, so if you find something, or someone else has information, I am eager to learn and use the knowledge for the next person!

• Guy Halliburton

September 11, 2023 at 12:56 pm

Thanks for the extra info. As you know these travels take a lot of planning, we aren’t expecting to travel until 2025 – so as and when I find out more I’ll certainly update for other people to reference

• Carlos

September 11, 2023 at 1:23 pm

It’s interesting that you bring up 2025, as that’s when I plan on going to Tokyo and Osaka. I, too, need morning personal care assistance (toileting, showering/bathing, and dressing that will take no more than an hour to do). What I plan on doing is bringing one friend who used to live in Shinjuku for language and basic assistance and another to assist with any lifting or transferring. Thankfully, the friend who lived in Japan plans on paying his own way. I’ll just have to raise the money for myself and the other friend.

• Guy Halliburton

September 11, 2023 at 1:34 pm

Ah well, any useful information I turn up over the next 12 months or so I’ll post here Carlos. Fortunately my son can slide board transfer so we don’t need to travel with a hoist or do much lifting.

• neurohealth

August 8, 2024 at 10:11 pm

Hello Guy. I am wondering if you have found any helpful information regarding assistance with bowel care whilst travelling in Japan?

We are a case management services company and our client who sustained tetraplegia (C4-6) in 2014, will be travelling to Japan (Tokyo, Kanazawa, Kyoto and Osaka) in September/October 2024 and will need nursing support/ support worker for bowel care.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Melissa

Skip to content