Tokyo Hop-on / Hop-off wheelchair accessability

• Tokyo Hop-on / Hop-off wheelchair accessability

Posted by Bob on September 12, 2023 at 11:04 pm

Hi, I’m brand new to the site so I apologize upfront if I do something wrong.
    I am visiting Japan in November. I am partially disabled and travel with my own mobility scooter. It is collapsible/foldable. I can walk for about 100 yards before getting out of breath and tired.
    I have found the Accessible Japan site invaluable in planning my trip.
    One question I can not seem to get an answer to is:-

Is the Tokyo hop-on / hop-off bus wheelchair accessible? Or would I have to collapse my scooter and load it onto the bus? Or is neither an option?

Josh Grisdale replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    September 13, 2023 at 5:35 pm

Hi Bob! You posted perfectly – no worries there! I’m also glad Accessible Japan was helpful.

Can you send a link to the bus you are talking about? It is a tourist bus? Or just regular city bus for locals?

Thanks!

• Bob

September 13, 2023 at 7:06 pm

Hi Josh, many thanks for the prompt reply.
    The bus I am talking about is the open-top sightseeing bus.
    The link is https://skyhopbus.tokyo/en/

My friend and I are making a round-the-world trip and in several cities, there are hop-on / hop-off busses. We are booked on a number of them as it is a good way to get to see a city. Their websites all have some indication as to wheelchair accessibility but I can find nothing on this site.
    I wondered if any of the Tabifolk had used the bus?
    Regards,

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      September 13, 2023 at 7:25 pm

I looked around and found another page and the FAQ mentions discounts for disability IDs but not about getting on with a mobility device.

Not sure if you found it but they have a contact form here: https://skyhopbus.com/contact

They also have a phone number. Shall I give them a call? If so, can you send a picture of your scooter so I can describe it better if I’m asked about it.

• Bob

September 13, 2023 at 7:41 pm

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the info.
    My scooter can be seen here https://movinglife.co.uk/products/atto-mobility-scooter

I’m happy to contact the company but would be grateful if you phoned and spoke to them.

Regards

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    September 14, 2023 at 10:47 am

Hi again

So…. they have two types of busses. The main type is a coach bus with steps up to the upper deck and no wheelchair seating.

They have a new bus type that has a wheelchair seat on the lower deck. However, they currently have only 2 in all of Tokyo. So, you would need to wait for the newer buses (if you cannot climb the steps) for who knows how long… On top of that due to maintenance schedules etc, they don’t have a set timetable for those buses and you would need to call the office on the day-of to get the schedule.

When I asked about the scooter on the accessible bus, they were unsure if you could ride it on due to space needed for turning, but folding it and taking it on would be fine if you couldn’t get on at first try.

Hope this helps!

• Bob

September 14, 2023 at 6:32 pm

Morning from the UK,

Josh, many, many thanks for your assistance.
    1. The accessible busses. Given the scarcity of these, I will use them should they be available at the time and place we find ourselves. Also, the scooter has a reverse gear so turning is not a problem.

2. Normal bus. I can walk up and down a flight of stairs so getting to the top of the bus would not be a problem. The issue is the scooter! It takes about 30 seconds to fold up and the same to unfold, so this can be done at the roadside bus stop. I can lift it on and off a bus platform. (32Kg). The question is does the bus have space to store the scooter safely downstairs? The battery on the scooter is easily removable and I carry it (1.5kg) with me. (The same procedure as getting on a plane!). The scooter wheels are normally in an “attached to motor” mode and will move only if the motor is switched on. They can be put into freewheel mode.
    If the bus regularly has passengers with suitcase luggage then it should not be a problem for the bus operator.

If the hop-on / hop-off bus is not viable then I have a plan B! Utilize the Tokyo rail system! We won’t see so much of Tokyo but hey there is more than enough to keep us occupied for our 4 days in Tokyo. Then it’s off to Kyoto via Shin-Fuji on the Shinkansen. I have my JR rail pass already.

Again, many thanks. Is there anything I can do for you and/or the site?

Best Regards

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
      September 15, 2023 at 10:31 am

Hi Bob, morning from Japan!

Glad it was helpful. The FAQ mentions they can store large luggage and baby prams/strollers, so I would assume it wouldn’t be an issue.

Yes, seeing a city from street level can be a great experience. I had mostly used subways and was in a car for work once and was often surprised by how close places were together etc!

Thank you for offering to help! I guess the best options are:

• Join the group for the country you live in, as well as places you have been, so you can help answer questions others may have (even if not actively posting there, you may get a notice for a question and think “Hey, I can answer that”)
      • Tell others about the site – we can help answer more questions with more experts
      • Keep asking questions! For example, by asking this question about the Sky Hop Bus, others searching for the same information can benefit from our findings, or discover an option they hadn’t thought of!

Skip to content