Torokko Arashiyama Station

• Torokko Arashiyama Station

Posted by Shey_816 on May 1, 2022 at 11:37 pm

Does anybody know if Torokko Arashiyama Station in Kyoto is wheelchair-accessible?

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year, 11 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

May 2, 2022 at 3:20 am

Hello Shey,

Not all stations are created equally, and so Torokko Arashiyama Station being a small older station isn’t wheelchair accessible due to the 60-steps needed to get to/from the stop (see attached picture I found on google).

However, it is possible to visit the area, Arashiyama’s official Japanese website states that visitors who use a wheelchair or cane may want instead stop at Torokko Saga Station which is accessible. From there you can follow a few bike/rickshaw paths or roads and get to the location without steps in about a 15-20 min. stroll from Arashiyama.

I hope that helps,

-Justin

• Josh Grisdale

May 2, 2022 at 10:40 am

Hello,

I was actually there a few weeks ago and, as @schroth-sensei mentioned, Torokko Saga Station is the only way on the train. Unfortunately, it is a bit far from the main Arashiyama area.

It is a nice train ride though!

If you have any further questions about it, please feel free to ask!

• Shey_816

May 4, 2022 at 8:51 pm

Dear @schroth-sensei , @joshgrisdale

Appreciate your useful inputs. It’s actually for our upcoming family vacation. We’re a big group (13 in all) and travelling with my 89-year-old mother in law who’s on wheelchair. So I need to plan our travel thoroughly. Thanks!

• Josh Grisdale

May 4, 2022 at 9:59 pm

We are here to help! If you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Skip to content