Train riding with disability

• Train riding with disability

Posted by shapkaa on April 22, 2018 at 9:19 am

Hi everyone! I have heard that the trains in Japan have tags you can put on your bag that signal you have invisible illness and may need a seat. I was wondering where I could go about getting one? I will be in Japan for a few weeks. The one I have seen pictures of is red, and has a + sign on it, and a heart.

I will be visiting Tokyo first so any place in Tokyo where I could get one of those tags would be helpful!

Thank you.

Accessible Japan replied 5 years, 11 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

April 22, 2018 at 11:43 am

Hello @shapkaa, thank you for your question.

They are called “Help Mark” (ヘルプマーク, herupu-maaku) and the easiest place to get them is at the office of a Toei subway station (note that Toei subway lines are the government transportation lines and are different than Tokyo Metro which is a private company).  However, they are not available at the following stations: Oshiage, Meguro, Shiraganedai, Shiragane Takanawa, or Shinjuku.  But any other station should be fine.

Here is the Toei website: https://www.kotsu.metro.tokyo.jp/eng/

From what I understand they are fairly easy to get, but you might want to print a picture of the tag to show the staff so that things go smoothly.

I have no personal experience with this, so, after your trip it would be great if you could tell everyone how it went!

Enjoy your trip!

• shapkaa

April 22, 2018 at 12:06 pm

Thank you!!! I will look for a place near where I am staying to pick it up. Do you think I would need to bring any documentation of my condition?

• Accessible Japan

April 22, 2018 at 12:43 pm

From my understanding, because it is not an official medical identification, there is no real application.  So, I wouldn’t go out of your way to get any documentation translated.  I think just asking will be fine.

If you would like us to translate a statement like “I have _____ illness”, send us a private message.

Skip to content