Train travel for person using a walker seat selection.

• Train travel for person using a walker seat selection.

Posted by Gloria MG on April 30, 2024 at 9:29 pm

I will be in Japan next month and will be traveling with my husband on the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto and back. I will be using my walker and have one medium bag & one small bag. I am not sure how to book seats. Do I take up a wheelchair seat or get the seat with storage behind the seats? Also if I’m not in car 11 will I be able to use the toilets in other cars? There is information for wheelchairs, but not walkers.

Josh Grisdale replied 5 months, 1 week ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • alliejay

April 30, 2024 at 9:37 pm

Hi Gloria:

if you are using a Japan Rail pass, you can book seats at any Japan rail office (most major train stations have them). Many of the staff there speak English so you can ask about also reserving a space for your walker.

keep in mind that there is quite a bit of space between seats. If your walker is collapsible it might fit. Not the most comfortable arrangement but may be an option.

• Nicola

May 1, 2024 at 12:15 am

Hi Gloria.

You need to go the Shinkansen desk In the station. When the staff don’t speak English they use a translation app. If it’s foldable you can probably get it in front of you in your seat (photo attached for ref). If not I expect they’ll book you into the seat next to the wheelchair seat which has storage behind.

We found staff very helpful (I’m a wheelchair user but transferred to the actual seat)

• Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    May 1, 2024 at 4:07 pm

Excellent replies here, so I’ll just comment on the toilet question.

Yes, you can use any toilet in the train (though, might be frowned upon to use the first-class “Green Car” toilet if you are not in that section.

You likely will be able to get down the aisle BUT I wouldn’t recommend it as you wouldn’t be able to pass anyone if someone is coming the other direction.

(I think there is a bit of storage in the accessible carriage as I have seen people storing strollers.)

Skip to content