Travel With Mobility Scooter

• sjenigma11

August 7, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Thanks a lot for your inputs.

• Vir

August 13, 2019 at 5:52 pm

As i mentioned in a related forum (Mobility Scooters as an Alternative Device in AJF), i inquired directly from JR Lines West and they so kindly replied a number of times to my query regarding the usability and acceptability of the scooters i used ( i provided them the details, specs and pictures), and they confirmed to me as  quoted below in their reply-

JR Lines West- It is possible for you to use either of your mobility scooters on the JR trains since both of your mobility scooters are within our regulation sizes. However, we already informed you before, please note that there is a possibility that your mobility scooters cannot be used on some JR Ltd. Express train and JR Local train, and in some JR stations due to the facilities.

As the regulation for mobility scooters are the same for all JR companies, it also applies to the Shinkansen. All Shinkansen trains are operated by JR.

Based on your previous response “190802-000493”, we understand that your mobility scooters apply to our regulations for usage of Shinkansen. It is possible for you to use a private compartment “Multi-Purpose Room” on Tokaido-Sanyo Shinkansen (from Tokyo to Hakata).

End of quote

It is great that both my compact, folding mobility scooters can be used when i visit Japan.

Page 2 of 2

Skip to content