Traveling in Tokyo with manual wheelchair

• Traveling in Tokyo with manual wheelchair

Posted by yikhochiu on July 7, 2019 at 9:39 am

Hello Mr. Grisdale, my name is Chiu Yik Ho. I am an occupational therapist in Hong Kong. I am going to travel in Tokyo in 23 -27 Aug 19 with a manual wheelchair to find out some barrier-free routes for my patients. I got some questions:

Cause I am not a person with disability, I am worry about bringing a wheelchair through immigration. (I will prepare some notes to identify myself and mention that I am not trying to get any benefit with the wheelchair) 

I have read you book which is very informative and useful. I would like to ask more about accommodations. Which hotels has the best  accessibilities to accommodate a large power wheelchair and caregivers. I would like to experience the hotel rooms by myself during the stay but I worry about affecting the real wheelchair users to use this room. 

May I meet you in Tokyo? It is my honour to have your opinions. 

Best regards! 

Chiu Yik Ho 

<br>

<br>

yikhochiu replied 4 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Accessible Japan

July 7, 2019 at 12:42 pm

Hello

I do not think you will need any notes to bring a wheelchair through customs, as long as you bring it as luggage (ie don’t pretend you need extra services).

There is a lack of accessible hotel rooms and they should be for those who need them, so please do not stay in them if you are just wanting to see it.  However, you can talk to a hotel and tell them that you plan to bring customers in the future so you would like to inspect the room.  Many hotels are OK with that (actually, all travel agencies do that).  

Hope this helps.  Grinning

• yikhochiu

July 7, 2019 at 1:23 pm

Thank you very much! it helps a lot! 

Skip to content