UD Taxi drivers’ skills in general?

• UD Taxi drivers’ skills in general?

Posted by Ohayo Travel on July 23, 2021 at 9:42 am

(Not sure who use wheelchairs in this community but)

Do you use a UD Taxi (for example “Japan Taxi” the black tall car that is designed to accommodate one wheelchair plus one or two passengers) for yourself or have you heard any feedback from someone who has any experience of this?

I am interested in the skills/response of the drivers (in Tokyo).

Have you not have issues grabbing the car or moving into the car?

Are they mostly good at modifying sheet arrangement swiftly enough?

Ohayo Travel replied 2 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

July 23, 2021 at 7:58 pm

I had a few bad experiences where drivers didn’t know how to fold the back seat up, let alone get the ramp ready. And a few where I was refused by the driver saying “I don’t know how, sorry”.

However, they have been getting better and I had 1-2 good experiences as well. I find that using the S.Ride App and selecting “Japan Taxi” is a good option because you can pair it with the Mirairo app and, because the taxi arrived from a call (as opposed to try to get in at a station where they can say “try another taxi”), they tend to try even even if not experienced.

• Ohayo Travel

July 24, 2021 at 2:08 am

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am thinking how to let people visiting Japan with wheelchair take taxi with less stress. As far as I see the Mirairo app, it is not likely people with no Japanese language knowledge can use, isn’t it? Do you happen to know any similar app available and usable by visitors of Japan in general?

• Josh Grisdale

July 24, 2021 at 11:24 am

Correct, Mirairo won’t help for foreign guests.

However, if you have the app set to English, you can choose a Japan Taxi in the S.Ride App.

• Ohayo Travel

July 24, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. I saw S.RIde and it is convenient that you can choose Japan Taxi in the app.

Skip to content