welcome suica card(s)

• welcome suica card(s)

Posted by Stephane DEFREYNE on October 15, 2023 at 8:03 pm

Hello everybody,

we come in Tokyo next week, and we will use the train go move around.

We saw in several videos that we need to use a suica card for easy payment in transports and shops, but there is a shortage of blank suica cards for the moment, so we need to use a ”welcome suica” card that works only for a limited time.

My question is : do we need I card per person, 1 for my wife and 1 for me, or can we use only one card for us both ? I will pass next to the barriers in the wheelchair friendly space, do my wife need to pass the ”normal” gate with her own card ? Or can we tap 1 card twice at the wheelchair gate ?

Thanks in advance for your advice !

CJ replied 9 months, 2 weeks ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

October 15, 2023 at 8:42 pm

Hello Stephane,

You will need 2 cards (one for each of you), you can touch one after the other and then both pass through.

Suica and Pasmo are both selling cards that only work for a limited time: 28 days. It looks like both aren’t requiring a deposit (I know for sure Welcome Pasmo doesn’t, I just bought one a few days ago) just 1500-yen pre-paid. Pasmo also seems easier to get at more stations, but both are easy to get at an airport. Recharging them is easy, look for the pink ticketing station to reload IC cards.

-Justin

• CJ

October 15, 2023 at 9:14 pm

You will each need your own card to tap on the IC reader to go through the gates. You can add a Pasmo (Suica I think also) to your applewallet if you have an iPhone and this makes it super easy to just tap your phone to go through the gates (you can load it with an Amex or Mastercard). Just add “transit card” and choose Pasmo or Suica, then you can reload from your credit card as needed.

Skip to content