What are some wheelchair accessible places to see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto?

• What are some wheelchair accessible places to see the cherry blossoms in Kyoto?

Posted by Josh Grisdale on March 22, 2022 at 4:53 pm

I am thinking of going to Kyoto to see the sakura, and am wondering what the “must-see” sites are and then figure out wheelchair accessibility.

I was there years ago and forgot!

Josh Grisdale replied 2 years ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Joan Pahisa

March 22, 2022 at 10:16 pm

Hi Josh! I did most of my hanami in Osaka, but one day I also went to Kyoto with a friend. We went to Demachiyanagi station and walked the park next to Kamogawa river, which is full of cherry trees. There were ramps from the sidewalks to the walkways next to the river. As far as I remember, these walkways are really long, so it is quite wheelchair friendly. We had a picnic there.

I also remember going near Gion-Shijo station, there’s a canal parallel to Kamogawa river, according to Google it’s named Takase river. It was also lined with cherry trees and I specially remember the river full of cherry blossoms, as in a pink river (for a few meters). Anyway, it was an interesting view. The sidewalks were a bit narrower here, but feasible.

Finally, I also remember going to Arashiyama, next to another river. Also wheelchair accessible. I just looked it up and I think it was Arashiyama Park Nakanoshima Area. There were quite a lot of people having picnic, but we didn’t stay long as we were going to an onsen nearby (just in case, the onsen wasn’t accessible due to some steps).

Nevertheless, I can’t really tell if these spots are good spots or not. They were nice, but I’ve only been once in Japan during cherry blossom season, so I cannot really compare between places. Hope it helps!

• Josh Grisdale

March 23, 2022 at 2:21 pm

Thanks Joan, good suggestions – I’ll look them up.

Will be taking the Arashiyama Sano Scenic Train through the pass. (It has 2 accessible spots, but a bit of a pain to book!)

Also, Nijojo is doing a sakura light up at night.

• UT-REDDY

March 24, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Hello, Josh-san. it’s [email protected] who is writing.

Kyoto which is my home town has loads of places to go, inexhaustibly.

You have been Fushimi Inari shrine, haven’t you.

If you are interested in traditional ones, Daigo-ji temple is one of the most famous HANAMI point. and NIjo-jo which was once the Tokugawa’s castle is as well. Both gardens are accessible, although have some gravel paths. And Maruyama-koen park and Gyoen imperial palece are regular ones.

And not only accessible temples, modern buildings like National Museum or City Museum recently renovated are recommended. Toji temple (if you can get inside the Ko-do it’s excellent), Eikan-do temple, Hongan-ji temples… each one is accessible for most part.

There’s more to come, but that’s all for today. Thank you.

• Josh Grisdale

March 27, 2022 at 9:14 am

Hi!

Thank you! I have been to Fushimi Inari Shrine, but there is a new elevator I hear – so I definitely want to go again.

I will also go to the night blossoms at Nijojo.

However, I hadn’t heard of the others, so I will add them to my list!

• Josh Grisdale

April 6, 2022 at 3:24 pm

Hi everyone,

I ended up going to:

• Fushimi Inari Taisha (which has a new elevator so you can get to the Torii gates!)
    • Heian Jingu
    • Tetsugaku no Michi (Philosopher’s Path)
    • Nijojo (light up)
    • Gion
    • Maruyama Park
    • Kiyomizudera
    • Hirano Jinja
    • Arashiyama

I ended up going with Happiness Taxi. Unfortunately, the van they brought had a bit of a tough time with the weight of my wheelchair and the owner seemed a bit concerned about it. They have vans with stronger lifts as well, so, if you do use them, be sure to let them know your combined weight! Also, the driver had the van decked out in pink and stuffed animals and had Ghibli songs on the radio… not exactly my cup of macha tea…

I’ll likely write a little blog about this, but if you have any questions about accessibility please ask!

Here are a few pictures.

Skip to content