Wheelchair Accessible Escalators

• Wheelchair Accessible Escalators

Posted by Miquel on October 3, 2023 at 6:13 pm

Good morning,

I am interested in the news about the Wheelchair Accessible Escalators (“https://www.accessible-japan.com/no-elevator-no-problem/“) and I have some questions that I would like to know. Firstly, it is as effective as it seems or do disable don’t use it because is a little scary? And secondly, which is the company that create the design of this accessible escalator.

Thank you

Jul replied 9 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    October 3, 2023 at 6:54 pm

Hi

They are becoming rarer because, in addition to being scary, they take a lot to operate.

It requires 2 staff – one to operate it and one to stop people from trying to ride it. Once they put it in the wheelchair mode, the steps do one full rotation then stop. After getting on it moves slower than normal. So, it takes a long time, uses a few staff, and blocks the rest of the people trying to use it.

I believe they are made by Hitachi but not sure.

• schroth-sensei

October 3, 2023 at 9:03 pm

I’ve ridden one once, it was very interesting to see them set it up, and a little unnerving to ride (just a bit). However, as Josh said, takes multiple people to set up, backs up traffic (which is a bit embarrassing with EVERYONE watching you), and takes up quite a bit of time to ascend just one floor (vs. an elevator).

Similarly, a stair climbing lift has the same issues, but is way more unnerving to ride! Not recommended at all.

In either case, an elevator beats both in speed, comfort, and usually traffic, especially in a busy place like Tokyo.

• Jul

October 5, 2023 at 1:14 am

Hello we used this two Times in Tokyo : it is very useful when there is no lift. The staff were very good, everything was ok.

Skip to content