Wheelchair at airport

• Wheelchair at airport

Posted by gimom07 on March 24, 2024 at 4:18 am

I’ve heard renting/hiring a wheelchair is the best option in Japan. However, I heard wheelchairs are delivered to the hotel. I need the wheelchair immediately to get around the airport and to be able to ride on a train to my hotel. Is there a way to get it at the airport? (Haneda)

Also, I need to rent in Tokyo and return in Osaka…. is that possible?

By the way, my trip is a little over a year away but I can’t stop worrying about this.

AsiaMarketMakers replied 3 weeks, 5 days ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • schroth-sensei

March 24, 2024 at 9:00 am

Hello again Gimom!
    I haven’t rented a wheelchair myself so I’m not sure if an airport delivery is available for many companies, it may be only through a limited number of them. So, it’s good that you have time until your trip to research and plan for this. I would recommend contacting any rental company you can, and try that rental link on Accessible Japan, to ask if they provide the service. You may also want to ask how they would get it to you, where (e.g. outside the ticket office perhaps), and if there are any set time period for delivery (because it takes time to disembark, get through customs, security, and baggage claim).

Now I did find a post on tabifolk that may help with this, but I don’t know if they rent the wheelchair you’re looking for. Here’s a link to a post by wilgo and their rental company:
    https://www.tabifolk.com/wilgo/blog/wheelchair-and-portable-ramp-rental/

• gimom07

March 24, 2024 at 9:34 am

Thank you again for responding! If I did get one delivered to the airport, it’d probably just be by the ticket office or baggage claim since I am pretty sure the airport will have a wheelchair for me to use. I really need it if I want to take a train to my hotel. Alternatively, I’ll either take a cab directly to the hotel, or bring my own wheelchair.

Thanks for sharing the post, I am just getting used to this site so not sure how to search properly. I’m going to look into that rental company. 😊

I’m sure I could learn more by filling in the form on Accessible Japan but I feel like it’s too soon for me to fill it out. Especially since I haven’t decided if I’m bringing my own or not.

• Josh Grisdale

March 24, 2024 at 1:41 pm

Hi

There are 2-3 companies offering wheelchair rentals, but I don’t think any do direct-to-airport due to the increased costs (parking etc) and challenges.

But it certainly doesn’t hurt to get in touch with them early as they may not be able to needs then you will know to bring your own!

As for renting in Tokyo and returning in Osaka, one company can do it IF it is a manual wheelchair (since you can return it by courier). A power wheelchair would need to be rented in Tokyo from one company, and then rented from another in Osaka.

• gimom07

March 24, 2024 at 9:20 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for being so helpful!

• AsiaMarketMakers

April 1, 2024 at 7:34 am

My suggestion is to hire a wheelchair from where you live. A lot of wheelchairs are very small.

Skip to content