Wheelchair Parking / Storage When Traveling

• Wheelchair Parking / Storage When Traveling

Posted by Nathan on November 6, 2022 at 12:40 pm

I just discovered that I will be in Fukuoka during the Grand Tournament (for one afternoon only). My wife has been wanting to see Sumo in person for some time so this is a must and there are still tickets available.

Problem: She is in a wheelchair and wheelchair tickets can only be purchased by phone.

Possibly solution, she isn’t wheelchair bound, but can’t walk a ton.

Is it possible to store / park the wheelchair somewhere so that I can wheel her to the venue, store the wheelchair, and have her walk to her seat?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Nathan

Yod replied 1 year, 5 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • CPN Heather

November 6, 2022 at 12:50 pm

Have you tried booking through a third party like Viator that could ask such questions on your behalf?

• Nathan

November 6, 2022 at 1:08 pm

Yes, we booked through https://www.buysumotickets.com/

I have an email out to them with this same question, not sure if they’ll give a good answer. Just figured I would check here as well.

• Josh Grisdale

November 6, 2022 at 9:13 pm

I’m not sure if he does outside of Tokyo, but I know @wilgo offered a wheelchair ticket buying service.
    https://odekakeoffice.jp/en/service/

I have a feeling it would be OK to just leave it but.. never want to guarantee it. Also, if it is like the stadium in Tokyo, you will likely need to walk down some stairs to your seats.

• Nathan

November 7, 2022 at 1:50 am

I’m starting to think I’ll just have a bike lock so I can leave it with bikes and whatnot.

We have stairs at home, as long as she rests after (which she will while watching Sumo) she should be ok.

Thanks for all the support!

• Yod

November 14, 2022 at 3:46 pm

Bike lock is the answer. I used this way when the restaurant asked me to put away the wheelchair in the front of the restaurant. I know that robbery in Japan is low, but to avoid the wheelchair being stolen, I use bike lock.

Skip to content