Wheelchair rental/lending at tourist sites in Kyoto

• Wheelchair rental/lending at tourist sites in Kyoto

Posted by Laurie in Kansai on June 26, 2023 at 5:54 pm

Hello! A bit of a specific topic, but perhaps one that can expand into broader discussion about destinations nationwide.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to rent/borrow a wheelchair for use at any of the following sites (or any other Kyoto tourist destinations)? I think I saw (was it on here?) that Byodoin in Uji does have wheelchairs available, but what about…

* Kiyomizudera
    * Sanjusangendo
    * Toyokuni Shrine
    * Imperial Palace

* Fushimi Inari
    * Kuramadera / Kibune Shrine
    * Nonomiya / Tenryuji (Arashiyama)

Laurie in Kansai replied 1 year, 1 month ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

Concierge
    June 27, 2023 at 10:00 am

I’m not sure if he is still doing tours etc, but @kyotoursjapan is an expert in Kyoto and interested in accessibility. He can likely give you the answers the fastest.

I’ll start checking these for you, but, in general I would say that places with an entrance fee / specific “entrance” (as opposed to multiple entrances) are more likely to have wheelchairs to borrow. ie Sanjusangendo vs Imperial Palace. Not that the others don’t, it is just that you would need to find the administrative building where they would store the wheelchairs.

I’m not sure what form of transportation you will be using, but it might just be simpler to rent a wheelchair for the day etc… or if you hire a wheelchair taxi for the day, they often have a simple wheelchair that can be borrowed.

• schroth-sensei

June 27, 2023 at 10:37 am

Hello Laurie,
    You may be able to find a place to rent a wheelchair for the duration of a stay in the area, but it sounds like you are not worried about going between locations with a wheelchair. Here’s what I found for availability of renting/borrowing a wheelchair at specific locations:

• Kiyomizudera: According to their website, “Wheelchairs cannot be borrowed in the temple.”
    • Sanjusangendo: From TabiFolk’s sister sight Accessible Japan, “For those who need to borrow a wheelchair, several are available at the entrance.”
    • Toyokuni Shrine: I assume this is the Kyoto shrine (not Nagoya), I found very little information for this location, I’d say it’s pretty safe to say no wheelchairs would be available here.
    • Imperial Palace Kyoto: I was able to find a buried note in their website that says, “Wheelchairs are available. Please ask our staff for assistance at the entrance.”
    • Fushimi Inari: I didn’t find any on their website, however it looks possible, check out this Kyoto Universal Pamphlet.
    • Kuramadera / Kibune Shrine: From what I find this place isn’t wheelchair accessible, I’d say it’s pretty safe to say no wheelchairs would be available here.
    • Nonomiya / Tenryuji (Arashiyama): From TabiFolk’s sister sight Accessible Japan on Arashiyama, “Railwayman Bicycle Rental, located next to Saga Torokko Station, has 3 manual wheelchairs available to borrow for free.”

Also, if you haven’t already checked it out, I recommend looking at the Kyoto section of Accessible Japan for additional locations.

If anyone else has more information on these areas, please share. Nonetheless, I hope that helps.
    -Justin

• Laurie in Kansai

June 27, 2023 at 10:44 am

This is all so very helpful, Justin. Thank you.

Skip to content