Wheelchair taxi in Nagoya?

• Wheelchair taxi in Nagoya?

Posted by kenigor on July 30, 2022 at 11:10 am

Hi everyone!
    I’m planning a trip to Nagoya at end of August and I wonder if anyone knows if there’s any wheelchair taxi service available? Trains are always good for me, but I was checking and some areas will require a bus ride, which could be a bit more difficult sometimes, so I would like to have a backup.
    Any recommendation?

Josh Grisdale replied 1 year, 8 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

July 30, 2022 at 4:24 pm

Hello,

Are you thinking you want to reserve a taxi, or be able to call one to come for you at any given time?

Many independent accessible taxi drivers tend to work on an advance reservation system and may not be able to come when you call (especially weekdays during hospital hours when they are focused on seniors).

Would be happy to look up some for you though! Would you be able to call (in Japanese)? Or would you only like places where you can email them?

Alternatively…

Have you tried any of the JpnTaxis? (The ones that look like a London cab.) If you use the GO Taxi app, you can typically specify you want an JpnTaxi (with a ramp) to come and they will arrive within a few minutes usually. I used it a few times in Kyoto this spring and found it very helpful – came quickly, can see location on app etc. The only downside is that if you use a larger power wheelchair (like I do), you may not fit easily. I had to remove my headrest to get in.

I would suggest that, but let me know if you want some other options!

• kenigor

July 30, 2022 at 4:33 pm

Hey Josh! Hope you are doing well! Thank you for the message.
    I was thinking to reserve a taxi, I know well that it’s hard to call and request at the time I need. I would have some difficulty to call in Japanese, but if I can send messages I can try.

I tried before JpnTaxis, but only when I’m using a small wheelchair. I will be using my power wheelchair, so I think it will be necessary a car with a ramp and so…

Anyway, in the last case I can use bus, but I was wondering if I could maybe book a taxi with ramp that could take me from hotel to Nagoya Castle, the other locations seems like possible to use trains. But anyway, I also wonder how it would cost (it seems the ride is not that far)

• Josh Grisdale

July 30, 2022 at 4:49 pm

OK, will look for some.

Is there no train near your hotel? There is a subway station by Nagoya Castle. (Shiyakusho Station.)

• kenigor

July 30, 2022 at 4:54 pm

Ah cool! in that case, I will check if I can find a hotel nearby.
      I always prefer metro or trains.
      Thanks a lot!

• Josh Grisdale

July 30, 2022 at 10:23 pm

The Care Taxi Net (介護タクシー案内所) website has a database of accessible taxis around Japan. Here is their list for Nagoya City:

https://caretaxi-net.com/taxi/tokai/aichi/nagoya/

This one has an email address and is 24 hrs:

http://www.xn--n8jn2a84akb7bx3a.nagoya/contact.html

(The URL looks weird because it used Japanese characters)

Skip to content