Wheelchair taxi

• Wheelchair taxi

Posted by AnhJon on October 26, 2023 at 10:51 am

So I tried getting a wc taxi at the taxi stand at Kyoto station. It was a frustrating experience…the taxi staff was not helpful. Waited at the Taxi #2 Friendly Cab area was useless as well.

What is the best way to order a wc taxi? The Taxi GO app requires a Japan # to sign up.

Joyce Yin replied 4 months, 2 weeks ago 4 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Josh Grisdale

October 26, 2023 at 11:13 am

There are options for hiring a lift-equipped wheelchair taxi, but they tend to require advanced booking blocking off a few hours.

You can try:

I’ll ask around, but yes the GO app does require a Japanese number for account verification purposes…

Did you try a JpnTaxi (looks like a London cab)? May I ask what type of wheelchair you use?

Also, did you upload two images? They didn’t seem to work… maybe you pushed “post” before they uploaded?

• Joyce Yin

December 2, 2023 at 12:45 pm

@joshgrisdale Hi Josh,

My name is Joyce. I also have CP and live in CA. Thinking to travel to Japan one day, so gathering information.

Is the info you posted here the only info you have for power wheelchair accessible transport in Japan?

Thanks,

Joyce

• Josh Grisdale

December 2, 2023 at 2:00 pm

Hi Joyce

Those are the options I know about in the Kyoto area, but there are options in other cities as well.

Perhaps you can start a new discussion with the places you want to go etc and we can find a solution for you!

• Gill

December 7, 2023 at 10:09 am

Hi Josh,

I read your Japanese taxi review and also have a larger than average WC- which is tough to fit into a small car… Joy.

Please may I have your advice?

I’d really like to buy/ import a Japanese kei van that has enough headroom AND could actually have me sit upfront rather than in the back.

Have you any suggestions on which cars or vans might be suitable or you’ve successfully been in?

I’m struggling to find one, if any that could accommodate 115cm chair height and be up front.

Grateful for your thoughts.

Thanks.

• Josh Grisdale

December 7, 2023 at 10:12 am

Hi Gill

Sounds like quite a challenge! Can you maybe start a new discussion topic in the “Discussions” tab so we can start a thread focused on it?

• Joyce Yin

December 15, 2023 at 3:24 pm

Thanks for your reply. I see. I actually decided to consider Japan in the future. Thanks for your help though. We’ll stay in touch!

Joyce

• Josh Grisdale

October 26, 2023 at 12:09 pm

There is another app called S.Ride. You might want to try that one to see if you can register.

• AnhJon

October 26, 2023 at 3:30 pm

Unfortunately S.Ride is not available for me. I’m from California…

Too bad I can’t just registered using a valid email address…really limits international travelers.

• AnhJon

October 26, 2023 at 3:27 pm

I didn’t try JapanTaxi. I saw a taxi with an wheelchair ISA but it was too quick fore to take a photo of the vehicle.

Yes, I did try to upload two photos of the taxi stand at Kyoto station. I’ll try again.

I’m traveling in a power wc – Permobil M3

• Josh Grisdale

October 26, 2023 at 3:50 pm

JapanTaxi’s are supposedly designed to be “for everyone” but they were based on a small manual wheelchair design. This means power wheelchairs may have difficulty fitting in. For example, I use an Invacare RX40 and the only way to get in is to take off my headrest and sit facing sideways. It takes up all 3 back row seats and the only spot left is the front passenger seat, so, you cannot go with more than one person.

You could ask your hotel to call one (be sure to specify a “JapanTaxi”) maybe…

• AnhJon

October 27, 2023 at 9:55 pm

Thanks for these info and tips. This morning I requested hotel staff at Ala Hotel to call a wc taxi…staff informed me that he called several taxi companies and all didn’t have an ETA to give me a ride.

Regarding wc, all the locals I’ve seen using a wc all have very light and narrow wc. The ones with power wc appears to be a modified manual wc with a motor…very basic. I wonder how far can the wc go on a single charge. I’ve been avg about 15 miles per day with half power (yellow zone) when returning to the hotel.

Here I am traveling in what may appear to be a huge American size power wc (Permobil M3) with a backpack and bags over hanging on the side (this is how I normally travel in the States).

Skip to content